Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cosequin use during breeding/whelp

Does anyone know of scientific data about using glucosamine supplements in a breeding bitch? My girl is 5, had a recent injury but due in season soon. Thanks.

Re: Cosequin use during breeding/whelp

About 2 years ago I researched this same topic.

When I called Nutramax Laboratories (makers of Cosequin & Dasuquin) I was told they did not do research into using glucosamine/chondroitin in breeding bitches.

I also spoke with our rep from Pfizer (as we had sample bottles of their Restor-a-flex) and was told as far as she knew there is not a glucosamine/chondroitin product available with research behind it proving it safe for pregnant/lactating bitches.

I chose to discontinue it during pregnancy and will restart it once my pups have been weaned.

FWIW

Valerie
Fair Havens

These products are very widely used among canine and human populations. If there was a problem using them during pregnancy, I am sure we would have heard about it long before now.

Glucosamine and chondroitin are often in kibble. Check your dog food bag to see. Take what you may about what they put in dog food being safe. I'd hope the kibble not safe for pregnant bitches would be so labeled, but my hopes are probably too high. Check the Royal Canin food for pregnant bitches- maybe they have some info on their website- they've done some research, not sure what all they looked at.