Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Proplan puppy food

I have always used Proplan puppy chicken and rice puppy food and have always had nice firm stools. My last litter 2 years ago I weaned onto Proplan performance and had good results with that as well. I have a litter now and went back to the puppy food and have not been able to get solid poops. I have never had this issue with this food and wondering if anyone else is having this problem? The food is now called focus puppy chicken and rice.

Re: Proplan puppy food

My pups a couple of months ago were just find on it. It was the focus name on the bag. Just don't do the shredded.

Just had a litter leave that mom and pups were all fed ProPlan Focus Chicken & Rice Puppy.
Perfect stools, no issues.
You might consider giving the pups Tylan or BeneBac.
I didn't use it on this litter, but have found Tylan to work wonders in the past.

I have always used Pro Plan as well, and have never had a issue. My puppies have always thrived, and always had good stool.

I have 2 litters on the ground now. One is on PP puppy large breed formula (Focus) and the other one is on PP performance (sport 30/20). The one on puppy food has pasty soft stools and the one PP performance has small very firm stools.

I noticed this year at the Potomac that when I was scooping poop, they were much larger than I remembered from last year. And I've been unhappy with their coats as I thought back on the year. I was feeding ProPlan Performance, now Sport 30/20? They said they didn't change the formula, but I think they may have gone to cheaper, lower quality ingredients plus I believe there is more beet pulp in the mix. I'm now feeding a combination of raw and grain-free kibble, varying the brand and protein source each time I buy a bag.

I am not a big fan of Beet Pulp in dog foods, and Nancy I was pretty sure that the PPP Sport 30/20 didn't contain any beet pulp, so I looked it up, and it doesn't. I knew the Performance didn't, but the Sport 30/20 does not either.

I have been having no problems at all with the Sport 30/20, coats are great, stools are great, energy is great, dogs are thriving!

Breeder also
I am not a big fan of Beet Pulp in dog foods, and Nancy I was pretty sure that the PPP Sport 30/20 didn't contain any beet pulp, so I looked it up, and it doesn't. I knew the Performance didn't, but the Sport 30/20 does not either.

I have been having no problems at all with the Sport 30/20, coats are great, stools are great, energy is great, dogs are thriving!

You're right! My bad. I was confusing the new ProPlan Grain Free which DOES have beet pulp.

The main point though is that I don't think my dogs were digesting Performance as well as they used to, and I think something has changed, probably the quality of the ingredients.

It could be the Large Breed formula doing it. I don't feed LB foods. Labs really aren't a large breed and most LB foods have more filler in them.