Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ponazuril

I received my new shipment of Ponazuril and noticed on the bottle that it now says for 3 straight days. Does anyone know of the reasoning for the day increase. My last bottle said 2 straight days. Dosage of .2/per pound remained the same.

Re: Ponazuril

Mine says 2 days like your previous one. Maybe the dogs are becoming resistant to the drug.

They actually make 2 different strengths. You ask for whichever you prefer.

My vet has always said 3 - 5 days. We do 3 but I guess with a really nasty case of coccidia you might need more.

I bet like any drug that it would work in less than the recommended # of days. I wouldn't surprise me if it usually works in 2 or even 1 day. But in my mind, they always want a little more than will work in most cases to a) cover the worse cases, but more importantly, b) no messing around with resistant microbes.

Also, the recommended dosage is 1cc/2.2lbs which is 0.5cc/lb. I guess that might mean that it does come in different concentrations.

Marquis
My vet has always said 3 - 5 days. We do 3 but I guess with a really nasty case of coccidia you might need more.

I bet like any drug that it would work in less than the recommended # of days. I wouldn't surprise me if it usually works in 2 or even 1 day. But in my mind, they always want a little more than will work in most cases to a) cover the worse cases, but more importantly, b) no messing around with resistant microbes.

Also, the recommended dosage is 1cc/2.2lbs which is 0.5cc/lb. I guess that might mean that it does come in different concentrations.

Mine from March says .1ml/2lbs. Guess we should read the directions carefully. BTW I've never given it for more than 2 days and it has always worked to clear up coccidia.

I just double checked the directions from my vet for the Marquis I picked up yesterday. It clearly says 1.0ml/2.2lbs. I would call to see if that is a mistake but it is consistent with the handwritten notes I've used for a couple of years.

Here is the key. I am mixing Marquis paste to a 50mg/ml concentration. That is 1 ml of paste to 2 ml of water (I do 10 ml to 20ml). Dosage obviously depends on concentration. Again, I suspect that we hear different dosages because different people are using different concentrations. I suspect that how many doses to give also depends on concentration.

I am still confused though because 0.1ml/2 lbs is 10X less concentrated than what I am using. Even pure Marquis paste is not 10X stronger than the dilution I use. I further suspect that different Ponazuril pastes are different concentrations compounded by different dilution strategies. Again, I use Marquis paste.

Another Breeder .....

Mine from March says .1ml/2lbs. Guess we should read the directions carefully. BTW I've never given it for more than 2 days and it has always worked to clear up coccidia.