Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Borderline mild

My bitch was X-rayed for OFA two weeks prior to season. One hip came back borderline mild due to subluxation...no arthritic changes. Do I place her or wait for several months and try the X-ray again?
All relatives are OFA good.

Re: Borderline mild

Is she borderline or mild? These are two different ratings. Either way I would redo her, maybe find a vet in your area that does xrays without anesthesia and is really experienced in xrays. Good luck

I would do the same thing. Wait and do over.

Try again. But wait as long as you can. We have always had better results the longer we waited.

Do over in a few months. Make sure the vet is experienced in doing OFA x-rays - can't stress enough how critical positioning is!

Why not also do a pennHip - if there is laxity in the joint, whether she gets a passing OFA rating or not, she will be more likely to produce laxity and for me, that would be a concern. Regardless, if this were my bitch I would be looking for potential stud dogs to breed her to with OFA G or E AND a PennHip distraction index of <0.3, if possible.

REDO THEM!!!

I had one of my dogs done locally and was crushed when she came back mildly dysplastic. I immediately scheduled an appointment with a vet 4 hours away who is known to be a stickler for positioning. The second time my bitch came back Excellent.