Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with a Great Dane

I already posted this on FB but perchance one person didn't see it then maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Need your help!!!
I have a HUGE Great Dane here and he has toe problems and I figured if I join a group of Grt. Dane owners they might shed some light. The Vet/Friend has tried everything under the Sun including biopsy etc and nothing comes up. Been a year now and short of removing the toe we need to find out if others have it and what it is and how to treat it. We are now on Pred. after a course of antibiotics. This Dane is level with my waist and I am not a short person. So he really needs good paws. The whole toe is swollen and we do keep him from licking it. The latest is now on the same side he had a front toe starting the same thing. Anyone know of a good group? Or answers? TIA

Re: Help with a Great Dane

My now deceased girl had what you are describing. When I first noticed it I actually thought she "bumped" her toe. When the swelling didn't go away after a week we made a trip to the vet. There was no testing, no meds. She said it was Digital Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Had the toe amputated and sure enough the pathology came back positive. By the way, it never affected her gait. As a matter of fact, removing that toe made her feel soooo much better. It is quite painful. Big, black dogs (for some reason) are more prone (Rotts, Dobes, Black Standard Poodles, Danes, etc.). There are tons of great articles on DSCC.