Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CERF or OFA?

So what is everyone doing with their eye exams -- are you submitting to CERF or to OFA? As I understand it, if you submit to CERF, you will receive a certification from CERF and they will share the results with OFA so you can obtain your CHIC number, and the results will also show on OFA (as "CERF" I think). If you submit to OFA, you get a certification from OFA and the results appear on OFA (as "EYES" I think), but nothing goes to CERF. I think I have that right. Curious where people are submitting.

Re: CERF or OFA?

I don't think it matters but CERF will lose the validity of their data it's gathering if no one uses it anymore. You are also restricted by the form your eye doctor has. I don't know if they carry BOTH to their clinics. But you will have to submit to the agency that the form belongs to. I had a puppy family do an eye test and it was the OFA form. I have to do one soon, I think it will be at a show in Sept, I plan on asking for the CERF form.

Earlier today I scheduled an appointment for eye certifications. Last time I was there they gave me an OFA form and I had to specifically ask for a CERF form. They told me that they automatically give out an OFA form and most people just fill it out, they don't even realize a CERF form is an option.

So if you'd prefer to have the certification with CERF then you need to ask for the CERF form.

I will continue to support CERF rather than OFA.

You CAN submit an OFA form to CERF:

Can I submit an OFA eye exam for to CERF?

Since the exam data is the same, CERF will accept submissions recorded on OFA exam forms. However, so the owner’s intent is clear, CERF will require a signed note from the owner or authorized agent indicating they would like the exam results entered into the CERF database, and accompanying payment must be made to CERF. If a submission includes a check payable to OFA, the application will be returned.

http://web.vmdb.org/home/

Or, you don't have to submit it to anyone. The form signed by the opthamologist is just as good as a certificate that you have to pay extra for, IMO.

The change to OFA was instigated by the ophthalmologist association. CERF charges the docs for each form, and there have been issues with the database.

The OFA form is much easier to fill out and my doc is very happy with the change.

MWK

Without a doubt, CERF all the way! I think it's dishonest how they slip the OFA form to you without bringing it to your attention, it happened to me. CERF will use the OFA form as stated above.

If you are about to breed to a stud and would like clarification about something listed on the clearance, CERF is much more helpful and easier to reach. CERF will give you more detailed information about past exams, for example, a defect did or didn't show up the prior year. If you switch between OFA and CERF they won't have specifics about OFA to help you. I don't like how OFA lists "punctate cataract" as just "cataract" on their clearances, one conjures up a much different diagnosis than the other!

Breeder
Or, you don't have to submit it to anyone. The form signed by the opthamologist is just as good as a certificate that you have to pay extra for, IMO.

No you don't have to submit to anyone but I wouldn't make a decision on a breeding if the form isn't clear and sometimes it is not. Registering your clearances allows you to ask detailed questions about past exams if they are registered. A layman can look at older forms for comparison but they certainly don't have the knowledge to interpret the findings if something has changed.

if your vet uses the OFA form, and you want the data to go to CERF, you can mail the form to CERF and they accept it ( per CERF, I did this my last eye exams )

I recently scanned and emailed OFA eye forms to CERF, they were in the CERF database the following day and will be transmitted to the OFA database I think this Saturday. The fees are the same, so what benefit do you get by submitting to OFA? OFA would get the $$ instead of CERF. But do you get anything "more?"