Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Adequan shortage?

Any alternatives?

Between dog food recalls and this, I feel like I am losing my mind.

Re: Adequan shortage?

Yes there is a drug called Ichon it's the same product it's just labeled for joint lavage instead.

I have been looking into this for many of my clients whose dogs are receiving Adequan injections.

Ichon has, according to multiple posts from veterinary professionals on Veterinary Information Network (VIN), been cited as having caused several serious reactions when used off-label as a SQ or IM injection rather than as labeled for intraoperative peritoneal (intra-articular is also off-label) lavage. Pretty risky, IMHO, as the entire absorption process is much different when delivered subcutaneously or even intramuscularly.

Pentosan polysulfate (Cartrophen- NOT to be confused with the NSAID *carprofen* which is the generic for Rimadyl) is the other injectable that has apparently been used for years in Europe and Canada with great success when treating arthritic dogs. There is a backorder on this product too, trying to get it delivered here in the USA. There is a compounding pharmacy that is making a generic equivalent apparently- http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learning-center/professional-monographs/pentosan-polysulfate-for-veterinary-use.html

All of these products can be associated with blood clotting problems in some patients (heparin-like), including Adequan, so it is important to have this in the back of your mind when using them.

Just a bit of additional information.

In the meantime, acupuncture and oral glucosamine supplements seem to be working well for our patients, thankfully...

Thank you, Julie. We are already doing the acupuncture and supplements. I think the acupuncture has helped more than the Adequan, actually!

Pentosan in commonly used in horses and available quite easily from an equine vet. I have found it to work much better than adequan, but every animal responds differently.

Pete,
Had you considered Lubrisyn, which is given orally?
Julie - how do you feel about Lubrisyn?

Susan,
We have used Lubrysin and Trixsyn before the Adequan injections. I really didn't noticethatthey helped much either.
My guy has severe hip dysplasia and gets fish oil caps and Nature's Farmacy Phyto Flex. I think the PhytoFlex and the acupuncture have helped him the most. Dasuquin didn't seem as effective for him, although my other ortho dog is on that.

Also there is a product called Chondroprotec by Neogen that I have been using for years. Much more reasonable than Adequan.

Know some folks that have resently strated to use this insted of the adequan and think it is actually working better. It is also cheaper and you use less at a time.
pentosan k9 polysulfate sodium 150 mg

Debbie Darche, DVM
Also there is a product called Chondroprotec by Neogen that I have been using for years. Much more reasonable than Adequan.

The only problem with Chondroprotec is that it, too, is only FDA-approved and labelled for topical administration. That makes it, too, illegal to use via injection... Like Ichon. We have been really researching all of these alternatives in-depth for our hospital and have probably gotten far more info than we ever wanted to know about many of these products.

Susan ~ Fenwyck
Pete,
Had you considered Lubrisyn, which is given orally?
Julie - how do you feel about Lubrisyn?

Susan, I have seen some dogs respond well (Lubrisyn being an oral hyaluronic acid supplement), but also others who haven't seemed to respond much. With oral supplements of any type (and even oral meds) I always wonder whether individual differences in absorption play a role in their efficacy.

I have known a few dogs with severe osteoarthritis who have had amazing response to stem cell therapy as well...