Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Semen Shipping Boxes

I called Reproduction Resources a couple of days ago to place an order. As I had shipped semen earlier in the week, and was complaining about (what else!) the heat, the fellow I was speaking with mentioned a new shipping box that they were rolling out, and offered to send me a free sample box to look over.

It arrived today, and I have to say, it looks pretty interesting. It's called the Impact VIP Shipper and is on the online catalog at http://www.reproductionresources.com/products.php?pid=816&detail=true

Unfortunately, it does not show a picture of the box. It's a very bright green color, and closes in on itself much like the Rover Shipper. It holds three ice packs which you freeze according to the ambient temperature. For really hot weather, >80, you freeze all three, for 50 - 80 degrees, you freeze two of the blocks and keep the third one in there unfrozen, and for cool weather, you keep all three ice packs in the box, but none of them are frozen. The price for this shipper is $16.28!!

Has anyone had a chance to use this shipper yet? And if you did, what did you think of the performance?

-Jill

Re: Semen Shipping Boxes

Reproduction Resources is 30 min from me. I'm going to go there next week to check this box out - sounds interesting! I'll ask if they have received any feedback on it as yet too.

Jill, I received a free sample of this box a few months back as well and used it to ship semen to the Pacific NW. It wasn't very warm at the time (getting the shipment up the west coast overnight) but it held up well. To me, it did seem a little cheaply made, and I don't know that I would trust it in the hot summer months (I have heard some nightmares in hot weather with another brand of box as well- semen arriving dead overnight with melted ice packs), but I guess you could pack it up as if shipping a sample off with a thermometer inside and leave it in warm temps to see how it performs?

This box is smaller and lighter-weight than their VersaShippers, so shipping is less expensive as well.

Julie

What is the best box to ship with during this very hot summer? I have several Clone boxes and I have 2 of the Camelot boxes. I'm guessing it's a safer bet with the Camelot, but assuming very expensive.

Whatever box you decide to use make sure you use at least a couple of ice bricks. I also like to use the therma shield for the collection tube.

The Camelot boxes are ridiculously large, but have withstood Southern California summer temperatures very well, with the brick still nice and cold on arrival. They are super insulated, and reduce the temperature variances that can be deadly to fragile sperm cells.

I like the Camelot boxes very much. The expense of shipping them is huge, but worth it if the temps require it. I had to ship using my USAirway acct. a few weeks ago and found it to be less expensive than Fed Ex. And, it's there within hours rather than overnight.

-Jill

Interesting. I think I might look into getting an airline acct and use the Camelots. Thanks everyone. Time to pull those babies out of the crawl space and get some use again.

I shipped in upper 90 degree weather several years ago using the Camelot box and extender. The international shipment took 3 days before the bitch owner was able to open the container at the vets. The interior was still cold. Analysis was performed and the bitch inseminated. 11 puppies arrived 9 weeks later.

I recently used Equine Express II™ Cooled Semen Shipper™ to ship from the East Coast to California. Our temperatures were in the High 90s - Low 100s at the time. Semen arrived in awesome condition. After the insemination I put the used box in my car and worked a full day. When I got home 10 hours later I brought the box in the house and to my surprise the box was still very cold and the ice block was still partially frozen. Not bad after what were sure to be 110 degrees plus in my car for 10 hours. The box costs less than $30. I was happy and will use this product again.

I apologize if I'm redundant here - what do y'all think of the mini tube boxes' performance?

I have had success with them, but last year it was very hot - so I used the Camelot Boxes. Good thing I did - the shipment missed a connection somehwere and was a day late . The semen was still cool.

I had a bad experience with the minitube box on a very hot day, shipment arrived warm, semen was dead. There is no room in those boxes to put extra ice packs if needed.

Since I have minitube boxes I have carved out room for an extra ice pack.