Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hair missing underneath puppy tail

my 3 month old puppy has hair missing underneath his tail (around the rectom)

I do not know what this is. the skin is not red. I noticed this about a week ago.

He is a well bred puppy.

he has been wormed several times with panacur

He eats Eukanuba puppy food

I am going to worm him again with drontal plus tomorrow, and then i am planning to take him to the vet if that does not work.

I have been searching the net, and it said possible tape worms, possible anal gland (in a 3 month old puppy?)

please advise and experience

Re: hair missing underneath puppy tail

breeder
my 3 month old puppy has hair missing underneath his tail (around the rectom)

I do not know what this is. the skin is not red. I noticed this about a week ago.

He is a well bred puppy.

he has been wormed several times with panacur

He eats Eukanuba puppy food

I am going to worm him again with drontal plus tomorrow, and then i am planning to take him to the vet if that does not work.

I have been searching the net, and it said possible tape worms, possible anal gland (in a 3 month old puppy?)

please advise and experience

I think you mean hair is missing around his anus not his rectum. Is he scooting his behind on the ground or licking? Yes, a 3 month puppy could have anal gland issues. Why not take a stool sample in instead of constantly worming your puppy. Tapeworms come from fleas.

yes, I meant hair missing from underneath his tail to anas area.

the area is not red, no scooting, and no licking--just bald.

our vet said they can get tape worms from birds, rodents, and other small animals

He does play outside in the yard, and in his puppy pool.

I have a girl that has had that all her life and there has never been any issue. She just doesn't have hair on the first inch or so underneath her tail. It never hurt her in the ring and she never had any problems with it.

I took my puppy boy to the vet today, and he said he did not see anything wrong with the puppy, and seemed to think it would grow back.

I find that things can get a bit patchy, when they are beginning to grow, but it usually fills in, with time.