Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coconut Oil vs Salmon Oil

Curious what you all think. I stopped at Natures Farmacy today and asked for Salmon Oil. He said they don't and never will carry it. Too many metals, etc.
He claimed Coconut Oil was better all around. I specifically asked if it helped with the coat and skin, he said yes.

Easy to get the at Costco but wanted to know what others thought. My purpose with salmon oil is solely to help coat and skin. Thoughts appreciated.

Re: Coconut Oil vs Salmon Oil

Many benefits to coconut oil - I give it to my dogs daily. Here's a sample article: http://dogingtonpost.com/benefits-of-coconut-oil-for-dogs/#.Uo_4vMSsiSo

Molecularly distillation removes any heavy metals, just get molecularly distilled fish oil.

The omega 3 fatty acids are thought of as the beneficial part of fish oil, and coconut oil does not contain omega 3s.

Is there anything wrong with using both? I was just going to begin my dogs on coconut oil.

I don't know. I did do both for one dog for about six weeks trying to improve coat regrowth, didn't see any difference so I went back to just fish oil. I think there is more solid research to support the benefits of fish oil.

I do both - one in am and one in pm. Coconut oil has many benefits, not just coat.

I did a search trying to find out the truth about coconut oil when it became the rave thing to do. I tried searching studies and USDA and found some data about it. I decided not to use the coconut oil after reading the research on people and the advice of the USDA.

Search for a site that's not selling it.