Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
kennel cough

If I give nasal kennel cough vaccine to my dog before he goes to a show is there any chance it will give him k/c and then my pregnant girl will get it? I do think there are breeders who go to shows when they have a pg girl. My problem is all dogs in the house and no kennel to isloate anyone

Re: kennel cough

I doubt the pregnant bitch can get it from the vaccine (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong about that) BUT and this is a BIG BUT - if you can't isolate a dog that has been to a dog show away from your pregnant bitch, PLEASE DON'T GO! That poses an even bigger risk to the bitch and her puppies.

And yes, I occasionally go to shows with pregnant bitches at home, but all dog-show-exposed dogs are quarantined for at least 2 weeks, no exceptions! I have the facilities to do this if necessary, so if you do not, don't tempt fate!

I would NOT administer intranasal vaccine to a dog who will be with a pregnant bitch. I am not sure I would send him to a show if he cannot be isolated, particularly if she is in early or late pregnancy. Herpes virus gives the exposed adults kennel cough like symptoms but can kill a litter or cause it to die in terrible distress after birth.

If you really feel you must vaccinate, ask the vet to administer an injection if the dog is Lab sized, but don't do it in a small dog, as the package inserts cite death in small dogs under 20 lbs.

If you are that close to a show date, just skip the show or at least skip the vaccine. Your vaccinated dog may be the one to show kennel cough symptoms from the vaccine, as that is a side effect of the intransal vaccine. I have had it go through the whole house from one dog vaccinated who then developed a nasty kennel cough. What is worse is that the modified live vaccine is resistant to antibiotics--they are often used to weaken the disease to make modified live vaccines. Dogs under stress (showing, in shelters, pregnant) are the ones most likely to show the symptoms.

I have stopped vaccinating for kennel cough. I think the bordatella part of the vaccine is a scam. I ended up with huge vet bills from the iotrogenic version of kennel cough at least twice, as we had to give antibiotics and it was hard on pups. I believe an article in Lab Q some years ago by Mistypoint Labs also mentioned the terrible effects on a litter of nursing pups who got the vaccine. Be careful. I only give it with plenty of time before a show if I must give it for the handler's contract, etc. I do vaccinate young dogs for adenovirus and parainfluenza as well as distemper and parvo.

Good luck with the litter. There will always be another show.

On a side note: intranasal bordatella has been shown to sometimes seem to spread to humans from the vaccine. There are scientific journal articles on it. What they sneeze out immediately after you vaccinate the dog is a form of the disease.

No vaccine is 100% effective and the kennel cough vaccine doesn't cover all strains. I would skip the show if i had a litter on the way.

I've been told that the kennel cough vaccine should not be given to a dog that will fly as they shed cells and other dogs can catch it. The other vaccines with dead virus are supposed to be safe.

Call the manufacturer and ask them. I had a puppy grab the needle on a five way and when I got it away the vaccine shot down his throat. I called the Manufacturer and they said it wasn't a problem and all of the virus were dead and the puppy wouldn't get sick and it was true.

I know you are all right. I just needed to hear it again. Pulled my boy. Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving!!