Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Using photos in pedigrees, do I need permission?

I've always asked permission when using a stud dog's photo on my litter listing. However, I am wondering do I have to get permission from all of the owners up a pedigree before putting the photos into the pedigree? I love seeing pedigrees with photos of all the ancestors. It seems like a lot of work and very likely it would be difficult to get the permission for some of the older dogs as the original owner may be deceased. Just wondering what others opinions are on this. Thanks.

Re: Using photos in pedigrees, do I need permission?

I love seeing the photo pedigrees too, but yes you do need to ask for permission to use someone's photograph. They might want a different photo used then the one that was pulled from an array on a website without permission. Or have it removed entirely.

Theoretically, I suppose you do need to ask for permission. But as for me, if you thought enough of my boy to use him and pay his stud fee, I am also happy you want to let the world to know about it. It think we are too PC and go way overboard in a lot of ways, and this is no exception.

Breeder
Theoretically, I suppose you do need to ask for permission. But as for me, if you thought enough of my boy to use him and pay his stud fee, I am also happy you want to let the world to know about it. It think we are too PC and go way overboard in a lot of ways, and this is no exception.

I don't think you need permission, especially on photos from way back when, if the photo is part of public domain. If the breeder uses the photo, they obviously like the photo of their dog and feel it does that dog justice. You are using the photo for your own use (not selling it to make money from) and it is representing the dog you say it is.

I would have no problem with people using the photos I've put out of my dogs.

I was always taught that photos are art, and as art they are copyrighted by the photographer, generally. Even if the breeder or owner of the dog might not have any problem with the photo being published and may be flattered, the photographer might not like it.One example: Note how careful WABR on the infodog site is to make sure photos are allowed to be used. I would not want to make trouble for the owner of the dog I admired. From a social, not legal, point of view, it is a good opportunity to contact that owner and affirm your "like" of the dog, the line, and the photo. Any success I have is built upon the visions of the breeders of the dogs in my line's pedigrees.

Being a journalist I know how important it is to follow copyright rules. I'd never dream of using a photo on my website without permission, even if it means long and hard "detective" work to find the breeder, photographer or dog owner.
I remember well when I worked on a pedigree where the sire of my pups was an American bred male, in his turn sired by Borador by George (Gordy).
No matter how hard I searched the web I couldn't find a photo of Gordy's dam, Deer Runs Sweet Carmel Queen. I sent several emails to one breeder in particular but never received an answer (which I thought was a bit rude).
I didn't give up though and a couple of months later I finally found "Carmen's" breeder and original owner - Patricia Grice!
She not only answered with a lot of info about her dogs and their health but also sent several photos of Carmen AND her dam as well. In one of the photo's, from 1998, Carmen was handled by Rusty Howard
Another dog in the pedigree was bred in England and the photo I wanted to use was taken by Anne Roslin-Williams, daughter of Mary Roslin-Williams, Mansergh Labradors. I spent much time trying to find Anne's phone number and at that particular time I was happy to have the assistance of some breeder friends in England.
So, if it's at all possible, please try do do your outmost to find the "source". Everone is happy and no sour grapes whatsoever

Re: Using photos in pedigrees, do I need permission?- Clarification

Anki in Sweden
Being a journalist I know how important it is to follow copyright rules. I'd never dream of using a photo on my website without permission, even if it means long and hard "detective" work to find the breeder, photographer or dog owner.
I remember well when I worked on a pedigree where the sire of my pups was an American bred male, in his turn sired by Borador by George (Gordy).
No matter how hard I searched the web I couldn't find a photo of Gordy's dam, Deer Runs Sweet Carmel Queen. I sent several emails to one breeder in particular but never received an answer (which I thought was a bit rude).
I didn't give up though and a couple of months later I finally found "Carmen's" breeder and original owner - Patricia Grice!
She not only answered with a lot of info about her dogs and their health but also sent several photos of Carmen AND her dam as well. In one of the photo's, from 1998, Carmen was handled by Rusty Howard
Another dog in the pedigree was bred in England and the photo I wanted to use was taken by Anne Roslin-Williams, daughter of Mary Roslin-Williams, Mansergh Labradors. I spent much time trying to find Anne's phone number and at that particular time I was happy to have the assistance of some breeder friends in England.
So, if it's at all possible, please try do do your outmost to find the "source". Everone is happy and no sour grapes whatsoever

I agree with everything Anki said. As far as photographs go, if the photographer has copyrighted the photograph, then all rights to duplication, and replication and DISPLAY belong to her or him. Now most photographers who take photos of dogs, usually license part of their copyright to the owner or owners with the purchase of the photo of the dog, to give them the right to display the photograph or use it in their puppy packages or stud dog packages, or as an advertisement in LQ or a club show catalog,etc..

My suggestion would be when in doubt, ask the person who currently has the image, whether they took it or someone else did. If they took it, they can give you permission to use it. If a photographer took it, and did not license them to re-use it for various purposes, then just check back with the photographer who took the photograph originally. These photographs are the products of the photographer, who usually expects to earn fees off the image; especially if they have bothered to spend the cost (yes there is a charge ) to register the photograph with the U.S. Copyright Office. Unless the photographer has given an exclusive license to the original purchaser of the photograph, she or he still retains the rights to license the picture to others on a nonexclusive basis. For a probably nominal fee, you can probably also purchase rights to use the image. Just be sure to specify what uses you want the photograph for, so that the photographer can give you the license you want/need. Hope the extra information helps!