Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
14 week old pup won't eat!

Got a pup that was such a great eater at 8 weeks old, but as the weeks progressed, she has lost interest in eating! I've tried wetting the food, adding a little can, and even tried cottage cheese. She just takes some nibbles and walks away! I'd like to see more meat on her bones as she's starting to grow tall. Any suggestions???

Re: 14 week old pup won't eat!

I've had to use the Hill diet a few times from the Vet, It actually smells good when you open it.
Another thing I do when Moms are PG to keep them eating is to make chicken stew from thighs when on sale at the store. I add vegetables a bay leaf and a dash of garlic to boil the meat till it falls off the bones and then add brown rice to about a third of the broth left and when it's cooked beat it all together.
They love it and then I start adding small amounts of dog food after they wean the puppies.
You may need to take her to the Vet to rule out an infection or blockage though. I just took a puppy in and had a barium x-ray and she had an esophageal infection. She is already better after three days of meds.

Buy a few cans of fishy stinky cat food. Stir in only a teaspoon or two into her food.

I had a pup who was a terrible eater. He was on a lamb and rice food, as recommended by his breeder. Turns out he cannot tolerate rice. Changed his food and he loves to eat now!
It is as if he knew the food wasn't good for him.
I would change the food - different protein and different carb, and see if that helps.

I find many of my pups go off their food around that age because they are teething. I've including hand feeding to get them to eat. Mine grow out of it in a couple of weeks.

breeder
I find many of my pups go off their food around that age because they are teething. I've including hand feeding to get them to eat. Mine grow out of it in a couple of weeks.

My pups as well.

You might try worming again - sometimes that makes them feel "off"

Check her mouth. She is loosing baby teeth. Her mouth will be sore. She will eat again.

Oh for heaven's sake, just reduce her food to what she wants to eat. When she's hungry, she'll eat. She may have an entirely different idea about how much she should weigh than you do. We're not fattening them for market.