Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shampooing causes hot spots!

Every time I bathe my dog, the residual moisture causes him to get some crusty, itchy areas, probably little hot spots. He carries a very dense, heavy coat. He can be filthy for months and his coat a powder puff without a problem. . .it's the shampooing that causes a problem. Go figure!
Can you suggest a good shampoo that might have some anti-bacterial action for his really thick coat? I work very hard to get him as dry as possible but it is not enough.

Re: Shampooing causes hot spots!

It's that "really thick coat" that causes the problem. It is very slow to dry, and the body heat and the moisture grow the "bugs" that are found in the hot spots. You may have to resort to using a force dryer to remove as much water as possible. I know it's not the best thing to do for a proper labrador coat and is frowned upon by many lab breeders, but in this case it may be necessary.
Also, make darn sure that you are getting every last smidgen of shampoo out of the coat. Residual shampoo can also cause hotspots.

Chlorhexadine shampoos are anti-bacterial. Consider drying with a blow dryer.

You could rinse the dog with white vinegar mixed with water. But, what is happening, is that the moisture, like water droplets, remain on the skin and are trapped under the coat. The best cure is to get a good blow dryer like the professional orange one the handlers use(forgot the name) and blow sideways and get to all parts of the coat. I actually bought one years ago and do use it whenever I wash a dog. No hot spots.

I suspect Lab breeders would rather see a blow dryer used than cause a dog to suffer with a hot spot. If you plan ahead and wash/dry the dog at least a week before the show, the coat will lie down just fine in time for judging. For yellows, all you have to do is spot clean the legs before ring time. And keep them out of the mud and manure piles, of course! ;^)

Kellie
You may have to resort to using a force dryer to remove as much water as possible. I know it's not the best thing to do for a proper labrador coat and is frowned upon by many lab breeders, but in this case it may be necessary.

Kellie
It's that "really thick coat" that causes the problem. It is very slow to dry, and the body heat and the moisture grow the "bugs" that are found in the hot spots. You may have to resort to using a force dryer to remove as much water as possible. I know it's not the best thing to do for a proper labrador coat and is frowned upon by many lab breeders, but in this case it may be necessary.
Also, make darn sure that you are getting every last smidgen of shampoo out of the coat. Residual shampoo can also cause hotspots.

I agree about the thick, dense coat being the problem. Whatever way the poster does it, they need to thoroughly dry their dog, under and top coat.

The Vinegar water rinse will help, but also getting the dog dry is the way to go. Make sure you are also using a mild easy to rise out shampoo. Blowdrying Labradors is very helpful getting out old coat and is very much worth the investment.

When I bath my boys I use a gentle dog shampoo by Lambert Kay. I dilute the shampoo by adding 2 parts water to one part shampoo in a bottle, this makes lathering and rinsing much easier. After giving a good scrub with a zoom groom and rinsing completely I towel dry and then use my Metro dryer. By using the Metro dryer I can blow out all the dead under coat and by separating the hair with the dryer I can get a good look at the condition of their skin under all that dense coat. I never get hotspots after bathing, I'm certain that using the dryer helps. Keep in mind that dryers used for grooming animals do not run hot like hair dryers for humans, so less likely to dry out coat and skin. This is what works well for my dogs. Happy grooming!