Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New color in town

So, I hear there's a new color Labrador. English cream. Anyway to make a buck, and these pups aren't cheap. These people, (I won't call them breeders" are asking $2,000.00 and up for the "English Cream" pups.

Re: New color in town

Joseph
So, I hear there's a new color Labrador. English cream. Anyway to make a buck, and these pups aren't cheap. These people, (I won't call them breeders" are asking $2,000.00 and up for the "English Cream" pups.

More power to them.

So what? Good response. I'd be tared and feathered and run out of Labrador Land if I advertised, white or cream colored Labs.

From the AKC Standard:
..."Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog."

From the FCI Standard:
"COLOUR: Wholly black, yellow or liver/chocolate. Yellows range from light cream to red fox. Small white spot on chest permissible."

They're still yellow. Buyers are still getting a standard yellow puppy. The marketing is clever. I may market my blacks as "Rare Ebony Black."

You find it very amusing until they move into your territory. Don't be so sure of yourself, you're not insulated from the real world of pet people wanting something "different".

Joseph
You find it very amusing until they move into your territory. Don't be so sure of yourself, you're not insulated from the real world of pet people wanting something "different".

Been there, done that. There's really nothing you can do about and they're not actually doing anything wrong. You may not like it, but unless you call them up and try to educate them, you don't have much to complain about.

We have dilute Labradors now too, enough said!

To: So What

Your message is correct but your delivery stinks. Why be so snappy and rude?
Be kind to your fellow forum members please.

There is nothing wrong with selling cream Labs. If you don't like competition, don't breed.

So what
Joseph

Been there, done that. There's really nothing you can do about and they're not actually doing anything wrong. You may not like it, but unless you call them up and try to educate them, you don't have much to complain about.

We have dilute Labradors now too, enough said!

We don't have dilute Labradors at all we do have dilute crossbreds

No different than breeding reds.

Joseph
When a prospective puppy buyer asks what the shade is of my yellows in a litter I may say light cream, medium yellow, dark yellow or fox red. I don't think I'm saying anything wrong but don't want to be clumped with this new term I haven't heard of.

So what is okay to say without being called new, in-correct terminology? I believe my statements about the color of yellow are correct but it sounds too close to this new problem term. That's if I do have yellows that are of light cream color in a litter.

I thought the people with charcoal and silver dogs [won't call them Labs] use the term ""champagne"" for their funny looking yellows that often have NBP. Is this English cream their attempt to try to sound like normal breeders when they are not?

The more I think of it, I will be damned if I will change my words because they're trying to inch in on true Labrador shades of yellow. I'm tired of reading the silver charcoal posts here and Facebook and normally don't post on this subject. I feel like real Labrador breeders feet are being stepped on more now with ""English Cream" if that's the case. I haven't personally seen a website with it yet, I try to stay away.

Not a newbie
Joseph
When a prospective puppy buyer asks what the shade is of my yellows in a litter I may say light cream, medium yellow, dark yellow or fox red. I don't think I'm saying anything wrong but don't want to be clumped with this new term I haven't heard of.

So what is okay to say without being called new, in-correct terminology? I believe my statements about the color of yellow are correct but it sounds too close to this new problem term. That's if I do have yellows that are of light cream color in a litter.

I thought the people with charcoal and silver dogs [won't call them Labs] use the term ""champagne"" for their funny looking yellows that often have NBP. Is this English cream their attempt to try to sound like normal breeders when they are not?

The more I think of it, I will be damned if I will change my words because they're trying to inch in on true Labrador shades of yellow. I'm tired of reading the silver charcoal posts here and Facebook and normally don't post on this subject. I feel like real Labrador breeders feet are being stepped on more now with ""English Cream" if that's the case. I haven't personally seen a website with it yet, I try to stay away.

The OP didn't say these were silver breeders. To me it seems like it's just a quick way to say they are conformation bred, light cream yellow labs. I don't take it as a new label. Much to do about nothing. If they were advertising English Blacks would that make you upset too?

I've see golden retrievers advertised as English Creams as well FWIW.

I'm not afraid of competition.
The people who breed English creams sell them to puppy buyers who think they are getting something rare and upcoming. I know a woman who got a Golden cream from England. She brags how rare they are. I don't care if people breed a moose to a Lab. I get calls for "light or white" puppies. And they don't want anything else, I tell them, keep looking. I just say they are yellow Labs just varying shades of yellow. Light to honey colored. I was just tying to make conversation with this topic, you don't have to take my head off.

Joseph
I'm not afraid of competition.
The people who breed English creams sell them to puppy buyers who think they are getting something rare and upcoming. I know a woman who got a Golden cream from England. She brags how rare they are. I don't care if people breed a moose to a Lab. I get calls for "light or white" puppies. And they don't want anything else, I tell them, keep looking. I just say they are yellow Labs just varying shades of yellow. Light to honey colored. I was just tying to make conversation with this topic, you don't have to take my head off.

Most Goldens in the UK are light creams. You don't see them in the US so yes, in the US they are rare. If she wanted one and imported it, she more than likely got a well-bred dog. Educate your callers, that's all you can do.

Just remember, these people love their dogs no matter where they got them from.

Oh my gosh! It's a gimmick to sell dogs. Case closed.

Joseph
Oh my gosh! It's a gimmick to sell dogs. Case closed.

So back to my Name, So what? You're making a big deal out of something you have no control of and really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. What you want to pass a law saying people can't use "Gimmicks" to sell dogs?

This was supposed to be just conversation, not a full blown debate. You sound like a very angry person, chill out.

Who really cares. Gimmick. and what is this competition ? I thought that was for the show ring not who could come up with the best gimmicks to sell beloved puppys. A great home is the only competition, finding the best. $$$$ that is sad.