Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MIssing tooth

I am wondering if anyone has ever had a puppy with a missing tooth from a sire and dam who have full dentation? Never have I seen such! In 100% of the breeding between sires and dams with full dentation have I seen a dog produced with a missing tooth until now.

I have a 6.5 month old puppy who has 1 missing tooth. It may yet "come in" but so far, just a gap!

Re: MIssing tooth

Yep. I've gotten a missing tooth (and more) from two parents with full dentition. I've also gotten full dentition from parents who each were missing at least one tooth ;)

X-ray and see if it's there. Maybe have the gum cut. There was a post here about teeth that did not erupt.

Me too. I think the OP has been lucky up until now. 1 missing tooth in a girl is not the end all. Most breeders prefer full dentition from a boy they're breeding to.

Things can skip generations both good and not so good. You need to look at the dogs in the pedigree if there are dogs with missing teeth above sire and dam it can come out, so the answer is yes.

I've gotten offspring with full dentition, an extra adult tooth, and a few missing premolars from parents that had full dentition themselves and have had a few missing premolars. Roll the dice and hope for the best.

It's one missing tooth, not the end of the world. And yes, you can get missing from parents who are full and you can get full from parents who have more than one missing.

There are many more things much worse then 1 missing tooth. There are many Champions with more than 1 missing.

Don't worry, it's small change and yes I have a girl with 1 missing tooth. Both parents had full dentature and so do her 2 daughters.