Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PRA, Pawprint

The Supreme Court ruled that one can't patent genes. There is more than one way to identify a gene. Therefore, I am considering using Pawprint Genetics, which frankly seems to have a good background. Have you used them for PRA-PRCD, aka PRCD, the same type of PRA tested by Optigen? Although ONE Labrador appears in the literature to have the other PRA for which they test, I don't imagine that it is common anywhere in Labs. I would be interested in hearing from Lab breeders who tested for PRA through Pawprints. If you are loyal to Optigen, good for you, but competition is good old capitalism. I can't beat the price. I won't even have to wait for another 20/20 clinic. TIA.

Re: PRA, Pawprint

Forgot about these guys. I need a PRA test and will give them a try. Glad to see the free market back at work.

They have a holiday special going until the 31st, I think it's 13 percent off your order, not sure. You could email ask them what the holiday discount is, there is a code.

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_myriaddecision.html

Optigen's diagnos method for prcd-PRA is still owned by them.

Optigen's method should not be used by Pawprint, and probably is not, as there is more than one way to detect a gene. Other enzymes, etc. can be used in genetic tests. Maybe now Optigen will be sensible and offer a competitive price. Other genetic tests are far cheaper than Optigen's: EIC, etc.

discount code, was Re: PRA, Pawprint

I found a code on their facebook page, but it is only 10%. Still good! That would make one test only $72, and a panel would be even cheaper. Thanks.
"To learn more, use the code Ph4ever before the end of the year to receive 10% off your order: www.pawprintgenetics.com"

Ordered a test yesterday and will update to let everyone know how it goes. I hope, unlike Ingen, they will deliver on their turnaround time promises. This could be a huge help to me.

So here is your first update. I ordered a test online on 12/12. I received a phone call on 12/13 to clarify something - forget what it was. The charge showed up on my credit card on 12/16. Today, 12/17, the package was in the mail.

The package contains 3 sterile swabs in individual tubes. Each tube is labeled with the dog's information. The tubes are in a bio-hazard bag that is labeled with the dog 's info. They also send a padded, postage paid, return envelope. The instructions enclosed are very clear and everything is extremely professional.

Tomorrow morning I plan to swab my dog and put the envelope in the mail. I will keep you posted!

Thanks for the update!

I got the results from Paw Print Genetics today.

Here are the dates:
12/12 ordered test online
12/13 call from PPG requesting clarification
12/16 charge appears on my credit card
12/17 testing package arrives in the mail
12/19 swabbed dog & put pack in mailbox (probably picked up from mailbox on 12/20)
12/26 pack officially received by PPG
1/6/14 results received

I am really impressed that given Christmas and New Years, they managed to get results to me so quickly.

Everything was very professional. I will definitely be using them again in the future.

Thank you for the update. I will give them a try as well!

They send you a great test kit: swabs, directions, postage paid return envelope. I like the clean, clear organization of their process. Also excited they will offer RD/OSD testing soon.