Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poop Eating

I have a 4 year old girl who has always had a hankering for poop. Recently though, it is starting to disagree with her. . . evidence, the disgusting vomit on my carpets, etc. If I had just one dog, it wouldn't be a problem, but I have six! What works to stop this awful habit? If it helps. . . she doesn't eat her own!

Re: Poop Eating

I had a poop eater for 13 & 1/2 years, she never ate her own poop either. I tried everything known to man to stop her nasty habit. The only thing that worked was picking the poop up before she got to it. Yup...rain, snow, sleet, or hail, night and day I did the best I could to beat her to the poop piles. My husband even bought me a hikers head lamp so that I could find it at night. Sorry....wish I had some clever trick to help you. She was the only dog I've ever had that did this Thank God! I miss her dearly, but don't miss her bad habit! Best of luck finding a solution. Merry Christmas!

You have to pick it up as it hits the ground before your eater can get to it.

No supplement I ever tried worked.

Eventually it breaks the habit. But if you then slack off for too long the habit starts up again.

It is what it is, as much as it sucks........

I've had 2 puppy families contact me about this a year or so after pups went home. I told them to pick up right away AND spray poop spot with Lysol. This stopped the habit for both pups. They can't get 'tasty' leftovers when area smells and tastes like Lysol.

The only thing that worked for my poop eater was to actually catch her in the act, and have a come to Jesus meeting. Never ate it again.

I have not found anything that stops them from eating it except what the other replies have been, to pick it up right away. I am a lot like Melody as I am out with my dogs morning, noon and night picking up the poop as fast as I can keep up with them. It does cause other problems as the dogs will get ecoli (sp?) from eating it. Maybe that is why your girl is vomiting now.

In addition to the advice of others re: picking it up asap, I also suggest that you begin to give her acidophilus capsules, (either open up the capsule and spread the powder on her food or poke the capsule down her throat). This helps with keeping the intestinal flora, to compenstate for the "bad" bacteria she ingests by eating any poop that you are not able to get to, before she does.

How about rx vitamins nutrigest?