Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppies and cold weather

I have a litter of 4 1/2 week old pups and am wondering when I can start letting them spend some time outside. This is my first winter litter and usually by now I would be putting them out for at least a few hours a day, but we are having temperatures that barely get into the 40's during the day. They definitely are at a point where they need more room to play and experience some new smells, sounds and textures. I can give them more room inside, but would really like to begin letting them out for a while. What do those of you in cold weather areas do about letting them out in the cold weather?

Re: puppies and cold weather

My pups are the same age and I'm in the cold North. I am starting to let them out for just 15 minutes or so to play/follow us around.

When it is sunny and in the 30's I let my pups go outside to play for a little while. As long as they are moving around they stay warm. I wouldn't leave them out for any length of time.

On a nice sunny day, I take the puppies out. As long as they are active and moving around, they are fine. I always stay with them to make sure they don't get too cold. I also have have a hawk phobia since reading all the stories on this forum.