Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
my dogs breeder has really high numbers

What would you do if you bought a nice typy pup on limited registration and wanted to breed at a later date and did the hips and elbows and eyes and they cleared, but then found out that the breeder is so high volume that they have over 12 litters a year and don't socialize well? This breeder wants pups back and I don't want my pups not being socialized and living only in a kennel. How do I tell the breeder that I don't want to breed my dog now? The contract I signed says I don't have to breed.

I feel naive and stupid. It was my idea to mabe breed my dog so I guess I should just say that I changed my mind and don't want to breed now?

I don't want this thread to go into breeder bashing. I just don't know how to say no to this breeder.

Re: my dogs breeder has really high numbers

worried
What would you do if you bought a nice typy pup on limited registration and wanted to breed at a later date and did the hips and elbows and eyes and they cleared, but then found out that the breeder is so high volume that they have over 12 litters a year and don't socialize well? This breeder wants pups back and I don't want my pups not being socialized and living only in a kennel. How do I tell the breeder that I don't want to breed my dog now? The contract I signed says I don't have to breed.

I feel naive and stupid. It was my idea to mabe breed my dog so I guess I should just say that I changed my mind and don't want to breed now?

I don't want this thread to go into breeder bashing. I just don't know how to say no to this breeder.

Simple, just tell the breeder you had something come up at home and you no longer want to breed. If its not in your contract, you are not required to breed your bitch.

Don't feel stupid or beat yourself up. It's clearly been a learning experience, but a lot of folks have been there, too, for the love of a Labrador.

Like all people, the breeder is not God, and you, too, have dignity and rights as a human being. Saying "no" can be a perfectly acceptable response.

It goes without saying, learn from this experience and look into issues like volumes and socialization next time you look for a Lab. Any bitterness from this experience can also be healed by volunteering for a Lab rescue. Give back and help those people and Labs who are also in a bad situation.

From your post, it doesn't sound like you're ready to get involved in dog breeding any time soon. Gotta ask yourself honestly: can I take on the responsibility? Do I have the requisite knowledge accumulated? Breeding a dog is an enormous responsibility since it impacts so many future lives.

You and your dog are in my prayers!

worried

How do you know that your breeder doesn't socialize the puppies properly? Is there staff involved? Is this just 1 person taking care of it all? Some bigger volume breeders take more care of their puppies than you would think. If you don't want to give puppies back, then the right thing to do is to spay the bitch and forget about it.

Why was the breeder good enough to buy a puppy from but not good enough to give back the pups you agreed to give her now? Did something change?

Breeder
worried

How do you know that your breeder doesn't socialize the puppies properly? Is there staff involved? Is this just 1 person taking care of it all? Some bigger volume breeders take more care of their puppies than you would think. If you don't want to give puppies back, then the right thing to do is to spay the bitch and forget about it.

I know of a Golden breeder who has produced some of the highest scoring performance dogs and is a big volume breeder. When my friend with Goldens flew across country to visit the breeder, she found lovely facilities, lots of staff, teens paid to come in to play with pups and dogs, 4 dogs at a time in rotation living in the breeder's spacious home, etc. Do you really know what life is like for the dogs at this breeder's home and kennel? I'd first find that out before you make a decision based on "high volume".

This would be my question as well.
I don't mean to sound snarky but it's really hard to be a successful show breeder with only 4-5 house dogs.
You sought out this breeder in the first place because she obviously met your criteria and now she's not good enough to have one of the puppies out of HER OWN bitch?
Hmmmm.
I believe you should probably just spay your bitch and forget about trying to be a breeder. Its a tough road.

question
Why was the breeder good enough to buy a puppy from but not good enough to give back the pups you agreed to give her now? Did something change?

The person who originally posted doesn't deserve bashing.

Once the breeder sold the pup on limited registration, it was no longer HER OWN dog; the pup now belongs to the new owner and her family. If the breeder really thought the pup was an outstanding example from the litter, she should not have let her go. And let's face it, a b**** who has been raised in a pet home where she's been a treasured part of a family is not going to be happy in a kennel situation away from said family. IMO it's not fair to the girl to breed her under these circumstances.

Also, any breeder who has the luxury of breeding twelve litters a year certainly has enough females to choose from without needing the genes of this particular b****.

FWIW, I don't see any mention of a heart clearance in the list of requirements for breeding either. Regardless of what happens, I'd add an echo.