Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
mildew on coat

I have been in labradors for many years. I could not figure out this past summer why my bitch would start to smell, and parts of her coat would turn almost a salmon color. Sib friends took one look and said mildew. Sibs have such a thick coat and I guess it is not totally uncommon, but have never had a lab "mildew". Now it is very cold out, and yes she played in the snow and I dry her, but she has a very heavy coat. Is anyone out there familiar with this problem, and other than blowing her dry as I have been doing, any other suggestions?

Re: mildew on coat

You need to wash them in diluted 1.5 percent peroxide to kill the fungus. In the summer it's also bad with them in the water ALL of the time. 4 parts water to 1 part peroxide and let it sit for 5 minutes. I rewash with Head and Shoulders after that. This will also stop the ringworm fungus if you have that in the soil.
If it's ringworm fungus you can take a cotton swab, use half peroxide to half water and swab the suspicious area. If a poof that looks like smoke happens and the hair breaks off it's ringworm fungus. You wash the same way.
I spent a fortune in Vet bills trying everything under the sun until an older Vet told me what it was and how to treat it.
Heavy coats come with an awful lot of work.

Thanks a million, as I would have been vet bound again. Did not think about peroxide. Such a strange problem. So thrilled you have a solution that worked for you. Off to the showers she will go.

You should have her looked at to know what your treating. Skin scraping and or a scotch tape test. If you find yeast an OTC foot spray for athletes foot (liquid spray) might work, the peroxide might too but I doubt one application will do it if it's yeast.

One of mine has a really thick coat. I made the mistake of over rubbing the coat to get it dry, this somehow messes up the natural oils. I don't know if blow drying would do the same but I bet so. Your dog shouldn't get that wet rolling in the snow and should dry fast. Does she seem to take forever to dry on her own? My thick coated dog was like that until I stopped drying her at all. Her oils came back, she didn't smell and she dries off quicker on her own.