Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help Please : Fragile brownish, no enamel puppy teeth

If anyone has some experience out there with this I could really use some help!

We have discovered that one of my 3 month old puppies who is in a pet home "has fragile, brownish no enamel teeth".
The vet has suggested that the puppy had a high fever or parvo or an illness that caused the puppy to loose the enamel.
I raised the puppy to 8 weeks old and I saw non of that. At 8 weeks the teeth were fine.

Questions I have:

Is it guaranteed that the puppy will have adult teeth like this?

Can we supplement the puppy in this heavy growth stage to help the adult teeth coming in?

What's your experience with this?

THANK YOU ALL for your help.

Re: Help Please : Fragile brownish, no enamel puppy teeth

Maybe you should ask them to let you take the puppy to your vet.

Yes we have an appointment at 8:30 in the morning.

Has the puppy's family had the puppy on antibiotics? If the puppy has been on certain antibiotics, they will discolor the teeth permanently.

Don't know about dogs, but about me. I had chicken pox when one of my adult teeth was forming( before eruption) it had no enamel when it came. It had to be capped.then later pulled and a prosthetic tooth implanted. I never had the skin rash, so it is possible that the puppy was ill with a high fever but no other symptoms.
My thinking is that since the puppy teeth are affected, the adult teeth might be okay since they were not forming when the damage was done to the puppy teeth. Let us know.

Breeder-x
Has the puppy's family had the puppy on antibiotics? If the puppy has been on certain antibiotics, they will discolor the teeth permanently.

I personally was put on Doxycycline as a toddler and early elementary child for several issues of tonsillitis. My teeth were permanently discolored with both baby teeth and adult teeth were discolored also, the front adult (earliest teeth) had poor enamel. The dentists all said it is a side effect of Doxycycline. I had extensive dental work with caps and veneers done. So I wonder if pup ever was on Doxycycline?

Or was the dam on doxy maybe and it came through on the pup?

Chicken pox is a variant of the herpes virus, which also causes shingles in older people.
Is it possible the pup or dam might have been exposed to CHV (one of the causes of kennel cough, for example) Carriers don't necessarily show symptoms, as we have all learned from going to dog shows.
Good luck with the pup!

Oh my goodness the puppy was initially misdiagnosed by the first vet and later the senior vet determined nothing was wrong with the pups teeth, just lots of tear and wear.
The first vet also suggested the pup had had parvovirus, my poor puppy people they were emotionally strung out.

Google Enamel Hypoplasia.

Can happen from injury too, not just disease.

Allison Rogers
Oh my goodness the puppy was initially misdiagnosed by the first vet and later the senior vet determined nothing was wrong with the pups teeth, just lots of tear and wear.
The first vet also suggested the pup had had parvovirus, my poor puppy people they were emotionally strung out.

I hope they find a new vet. Next thing you know the first vet will be telling them the pup has HD at 6 months because there is too much laxity.

So glad it was a misdiagnosis. Encourage them to find a new vet.

Did you use Tylan on their water or sprinkled in their food? I had once a puppy with yellow teeth after getting a little of Tylan water to avoid coccidiosis.

Brownish teeth with no enamel and be a variety of causes - any tetracycline antibiotic, tylosin medication, fluoroquinolones (cipro, baytril), high fever associated with an infection.

You can google distemper teeth.

Glad to hear that the senior vet says they are fine, but I'd be finding a new vet....