Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grain Free Dog Food ...Better ? or Marketing

There have been some threads promoting the use of Grain Free dog food. Maybe questions you get from your puppy buyers. Many Pet owners today think the GF diets are superior.

What is usually marketing becomes truth when it gets told often enough. The history of the Pet Food Industry is lined with marketing that has become "The Truth"

Dog Food companies are wonderful at promotion. There is one man who has been in the business for decades. With Wysong, started Nature's Variety, and for the past number of years developed another start up called Nature's Logic. He has made the pledge at the web site "The Truth about Pet Food" to be open and forthright about his sourcing and ingredient quality.

Scott Freeman actually puts no artificial ingredients into his product. No man made Vitamins and minerals. He uses Millet as the starch that is GMO free and gluten free. Imagine your dog and cat does not need man made vitamins and minerals. They can stay healthy by eating natural ingredients.

On Nature's Logic web site you can learn more. But hidden is a Pod Cast that Scott made a while back that helps explain why Grain Free may not actually be better for our dogs.

No I don't work for Nature's Logic, but have talked numerous times with Scott Freeman. He loves to talk Dog food. He also loves to talk about why Natural Ingredients get absorbed better then all the artificial Vitamins and minerals found in Pet Foods today.

It is really sad to see so many unhealthy dogs and cats suffering from obesity to diabetes because they are eating such high carb diets. All diets are made up of carbs, fats, and proteins. At what percentage can that become an issue?

Take a few minutes and listen to this Pod Cast especially if you want to understand Grain Free diets Vs Pet Food with grains. You may be surprised to hear what Scott Has to say.

http://www.natureslogic.com/podcast-with-dr-randy-pet-vet/

Re: Grain Free Dog Food ...Better ? or Marketing

There's nothing wrong with GMO either. Talk about slick marketing campaigns, Organic funding to promote their product over GMO as well as mass hysteria from social media and you have a major smear campaign.

I feed what agrees with my dogs. But everyone wants a piece of the pie and if that is talk up your food or product while putting down another it just reminds me of the old saying, those who brag, lag.

There is nothing wrong with GMO? I have been avoiding them at all costs in my own diet. I am glad the food I currently feed is GMO free!

Nope nothing wrong unless you want to believe the hype and hysteria put out there by the Organic Farmers and the uninformed people who believe everything they read on the internet and FB memes. Not everyone can afford organic and they really aren't any better for you. If you want to believe they are and that they taste better, good for you, but have to laugh at those who breed dogs and yet don't understand the science behind GMO crops.

It's a big marketing gimmick. I have even seen Pink Himalayan Salt being marketed as GMO free. Well duh of course it is GMO free because it is not a living organism but rather a mineral.

This thread is about slick marketing gimmicks and those who want to believe they are going to be any healthier by avoiding GMO, are just being duped by the slick marketers.

GMO
Nope nothing wrong unless you want to believe the hype and hysteria put out there by the Organic Farmers and the uninformed people who believe everything they read on the internet and FB memes. Not everyone can afford organic and they really aren't any better for you. If you want to believe they are and that they taste better, good for you, but have to laugh at those who breed dogs and yet don't understand the science behind GMO crops.

It's a big marketing gimmick. I have even seen Pink Himalayan Salt being marketed as GMO free. Well duh of course it is GMO free because it is not a living organism but rather a mineral.

This thread is about slick marketing gimmicks and those who want to believe they are going to be any healthier by avoiding GMO, are just being duped by the slick marketers.

Time will tell if science has it right. Nobody really knows.

justme

Time will tell if science has it right. Nobody really knows.

True that! GMOs have been on the market for about 20 years now. However biotechnology has been around for centuries. There have been no peer-reviewed scientific studies that have proved beyond a doubt that they are responsible for anything that the anti's have claimed and their benefit to third world countries and reduced impact on the environment are very positive.

Thanks to the biotechnology, the Hawaiian papaya was saved from the Ringspot Virus.

I find it amazing that they can insert a gene from one plant that is resistant to certain virus/bacteria/pests and turn the gene on in that plant to use less pesticides and to save it from succumbing to disease. We eat DNA from animals and plants every day and we don't assume those DNA characteristics. I don't understand why people are afraid of this technology. As a dog breeder, I find it all fascinating.

GMO

If you listen to what scott Freeman has to say in the Pod Cast I think you get some "Truth" about the Pet Food Industry. He has chosen not to include any gluten or GMO ingredients in his diets. They are extremely simple formulas. His Vit/ Min premix is all natural with no man made ingredients. it is very basic when compared to GMO 's being almost 1/2 of some diets.

Nobody does "Slick" better then Purina with their ads. Many Purina products work by not meat inclusion, but via chemicals that are man made.

I would suggest one reason we own dogs is because of their tie to the wild. To Nature. To bond with what we have forgotten as we head further from living off the land. I do wonder why we choose to feed kibble that is plant matter heavy that has been Genetically modified to our dogs. Just because it works does not make it right. Will these GMO crops one day be the smoking gun that ends our world as we know it?

Nature's Logic is a hidden Gem in today's world of artificial food.

I don't know

If you listen to what scott Freeman has to say in the Pod Cast I think you get some "Truth" about the Pet Food Industry. He has chosen not to include any gluten or GMO ingredients in his diets. They are extremely simple formulas. His Vit/ Min premix is all natural with no man made ingredients. it is very basic when compared to GMO 's being almost 1/2 of some diets.

I am not sure you understand what GMO is. I'm not sure you would know how much is contained in the average dog food. Just because dog food contains some grains, it doesn't mean that all of them are GMOs and those who feed grain free foods will not have GMO grains in that food to begin with. There may be a chance that meat in the food was fed GMO feeds, but that is an indirect consequence but the meat would not be GMO either as there is no such thing as GMO animals.

Again, the term GMO (genetically modified organism) is a result of biotechnology and breeding plants to be more resistant to drought and pests by inserting a gene from another plant that has that resistance. People who don't understand the science and subsequent decades of research proving these foods safe, jump on the slick marketing campaigns and buy into the junk science partially funded by the Organic groups to say that GMOs are bad. So to have dog food companies market their foods as a better choice because of this ingredient or that are just marketing and hoping the consumer will buy into it.

GMO
...there is no such thing as GMO animals.

There certainly is and GM salmon will soon enter our food chain. Mammals were first genetically modified in the early 1980's.

According to wikipedia: "In 2011, Chinese scientists generated dairy cows genetically engineered with genes for human beings to produce milk that would be the same as human breast milk." Argentina and New Zealand has also done this.

justme
GMO
...there is no such thing as GMO animals.

There certainly is and GM salmon will soon enter our food chain. Mammals were first genetically modified in the early 1980's.

According to wikipedia: "In 2011, Chinese scientists generated dairy cows genetically engineered with genes for human beings to produce milk that would be the same as human breast milk." Argentina and New Zealand has also done this.

I know they've done some testing and research with fish (everyone knows the glowing fish that people buy as pets), but I don't believe that GM animals are in the mainstream food chain like GMO fruits and vegetables are. When I hear outcry about GMO, they are using talking about corn or other plant crop. This is what I meant by no GMO animals. They aren't common in our meat sources. Some countries have experimented with and developed some interesting animals.

Nonetheless, I don't believe that GM meat is found in dog food. Again, just another way to cash in on perceived hype.

In reply to your question in your subject line - marketing. Grain free does not equal better.

When it comes to GMO crops we are all faced with Monsanto introducing
"Roundup Ready seeds" across America. It will not be long before everything grown will tolerate the spaying with Round Up. At what cost !

Ever hear or read about the "Super" Weeds that have evolved because of Round Ups use. Every living organism wants to survive. In Nature evolution can be fast or take centuries. Introduce man wanting to play "God" for profit and the world will be not about the beauty of nature, but of mans impact.

More important our human food and our dogs food should be natural and free of GMO's . Grains when cooked are a nice inexpensive way to provide calories for our dogs. It's just too bad that man has changed the quality of the grains just to put extra dollars into his pocket. Greed is a deadly sin. One day we will regret that Monsanto was allowed to ruin a Nation.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/10/19/herbicide-resistant-super-weeds-increasingly-plaguing-farmers