Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Large or regular and when to switch to adult?

I know there is a lot of debate over food and was wondering what is the rationale. Dog food companies say that the larger the breed the later the dog should be switched over to adult food however I know breeders recommend switching over much, much earlier than this recommendation. Dog food companies also have formulated large breed food...apparently formulated to slow growth down, however some breeders are opposed to this and recommend only regular puppy or adult food.
I would love to hear input regarding choices and if choices are simply based on direct experience....meaning...did you once feed one way and notice chances(and specifically what were they) and decide to switch they way you feed. Is there actually a study that shows that Labradors should be switched over earlier to adult food despite the recommendations on the dog food bag.

Re: Large or regular and when to switch to adult?

First off, Large breed foods were originally designed for dogs like Great Danes who on reg.kibble/ puppy formulas developed long bone growth issues.Pano and knuckling over.

No food will change genetics. If the parents of your pup produce hip issues or elbow issues the chances are greater your pup will have issues. Food can slow or increase growth. If a puppy buyer over feeds using any food the pup will be receiving too many minerals and calories that stimulate the bones to grow. Keeping a pup so the ribs can be felt easily each day can make any food work. The specialized Lg. breed foods may reduce kCALS per cup or have reduced Calcium and Phos, but if an owner feeds too may cups it negates any benefit.

One really needs to contact a food company and ask for the "Actual" amount of calcium and Phos levels in a food. The G/A listed on bags are mins. Many companies do not care about MAX unless they test to ensure a food stays at a level between MAX and Min.

The first six months are the most important as a pup has no ability to self regulate Calcium uptake. As he gets older each month the kidney's working with the bowel will learn to excrete excess calcium and other minerals. At a year old most pups organs are now functioning at adult levels.

Remember every food is different, most breeders have a track record and experience with their lines. As a puppy buyer from a respected breeder one should feel that the breeder knows what is best and follow their instructions on feeding.Yet some breeders are more knowledgeable then others when it comes to nutrition. Many breeders fear trying different brands because what they use now works.It may not be the best food in the market, but proven results matter to breeders.

The food I believe to be the best for Labrador puppies is Fromm Gold Pink bag puppy. Every ingredient and nutrition level is in the moderate range. A PDF is available on the Fromm web site. Protein, Fat and the mineral levels are watched for mins and max. It is Feed Trial Tested. All Life Stages tested to ensure Mom, pup, and Senior dog fed this food passed the tests.

Another rule of thumb... not many Lg. Breed foods are Feed Trial Tested. But All Life Stage foods that have passed AAFCO Trials will not hurt your growing pup if fed to the rib cage. Stay clear of formulated puppy foods, or feeding Lg. Breed foods that do not pass a test. Many breeders use Pro Plan because the foods for the most part are subjected to Feed Trials. Trials are the Gold Standard proving a food works. Why I like Fromm Puppy Gold Pink bag is because of the ingredients and the Trial. Fromm has been around for over 100 years and is family owned with it's own plants, and never has needed a re-call.

Re: Large or regular and when to switch to adult?

16 weeks on puppy--then regular adult -- puppy has too much protein after 16 weeks -- a cause of pano for one