Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Echo Hearts

Could anyone tell me at what age labradors should be tested with an echo cardiogram?
I want to make sure I do it at the correct age so I can send it into OFA and it will be
registered with all of the registrations.
Someone told me one year old is too young.
Any help would be appreciated. 😃

Re: Echo Hearts

And where do you find a vet who can do the echo? Do most Universities with vet schools do them?

Breeder
Could anyone tell me at what age labradors should be tested with an echo cardiogram?
I want to make sure I do it at the correct age so I can send it into OFA and it will be
registered with all of the registrations.
Someone told me one year old is too young.
Any help would be appreciated. 😃

18 months is better as the dog will have reached more of an adult size. My cardiologist says that the readings can change as the dog grows.

I heard you can test a puppy for T V D at earlier age..

I work in the veterinary community. The board certified cardiologists I am friends with recommend waiting until 18 months. Growth is still occurring at a year and things can change with the heart.

FWIW and I don't breed often, I wait until 2 years of age when I'm doing everything else. I want to hedge my bets that I've got a mature dog on review. We did a bitch that was nine and 3 generations back from my youngest and she was clear. Very interesting to see what a healthy older heart looks like. There is normal regurgitation and abnormal.

Very cool.

Sue Puff

Yes, if a murmur is suspected, a cardiologist can test for TVD by echo as young as 7-8 weeks.