Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Honda vs Chrysler vs Toyota

Looking to buy a used minivan that can fit 4 400-sized wire crates - had to sell my full-sized van but have fewer dogs so I am looking for a different vehicle now. Opinions on whether these 2005-2008-vintage vans will fit this many crates and how satisfied you might be with your van,

TIA!

Re: Honda vs Chrysler vs Toyota

Chrysler/Dodge will fit 4 24x36 crates in 2004-2007 models. The 2008 model of the van (if it has the power lift gate on the rear hatch) will require one crate to be a 21x36 as the trim around the motor is positioned slightly lower and interferes w/ the space needed for a 24x36in crate on the left side. Of course, if you have super short legs and can move the seats forward more than this wouldn't be an issue.

I have a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country and I can get 4 crates in it. However as mentioned in the post above the two back crates have to be I-crates which are 22 x 36. The other two can be the 24 x 36. I love mine. I get good mileage and it is easily accessible.

In our 2007 Sienna we can get two full size in by just stowing the rear seat, if we fold up the middle row, we can get three full size in plus a bunch of storage, if we remove the middle row (very easy) four full sized crates will fit with again plenty of additional storage.
It is great for hauling stuff, we have moved our youngest daughter in it several times, never had a mechanical problem and our on-board mileage thing says we have averaged 22.2 miles per gallon since we had it new.

I currently have a 2003 GMC Safari mid-size van with just over 202k miles that I bought brand-new, but will be looking in the next year, or two, for a replacement. I am so bummed because the Safari van was perfect for me. With both bench seats removed, I can get 4 Precision 36" wire crates, plus two EZ-Ups, 4 soft crates (or two ex-pens), mats, chairs, etc with room to spare. Average combined city/highway mileage is 17.4 mpg.

A friend has a 2013 Honda Odessey and she can only get 3-36" crates in it, plus the floor isn't flat so the crates "rock". Since the sides of the van slope inward toward the top, there isn't as much room for all the other gear.

I'm going to have a look at the Toyota Sienna (probably 2013) to see if that will meet my requirements. Crossing my fingers!! :^)

Not sure about the new models but our 2007 Sienna has a flat floor and we hauled a bunch of stuff with our crates. You can check the inside dimensions to see exactly what will fit. I know I can lay a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood flat on the floor and close the lift gate with a tad to spare.

Chevy is introducing a new van at the Chicago auto show. Some of you may be interested in this one. It is targeted to compete w/ the Ford Transit.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/new-chevy-van-gets-chicago-debut

I love my 2007 Odyssey and can get 4 crates in with the seats stowed (middle seats out). I have had no issues with this car and am at 165K miles

I have a GMC Safari van as well, that I love. My question is how do you configure yours to get 4 24x36 crates in? I put 2 in the back facing out, but the two in the middle facing the side door are the SUV width crates (21"). Do you face the two in the middle facing the front of the van instead of the side door? thanks.