Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do puppies "mark their territory?"

I have a client that took a pup home and said they can't house train it. They say they are doing everything they know to do but the pup just comes right up and poops right in front of them, and pees in the house, after just going out and going potty, and coming in.

Why would a puppy mark its territory? This is all new to me?

Oh, and get this: they want me to take the pup back and house train it for them. They are bullying me to do this!

Re: Do puppies "mark their territory?"

Could the puppy have a UTI and coccidia or the other? Are they feeding the puppy treats when it comes in? Do they have a pee pad with some of the puppies pee on it.
This just doesn't sound right as puppies tend to slow down BM's after eight weeks.

You could offer to take it back for a training fee, if you are interested. I train pups for people, both my pup families if desired and from other breeders, and it's absolutely amazing what people with pay for basic training. Some people just don't have time or energy for it and often have plenty of $$ to pay someone to do it for them.

The fault is, of course, theirs. They've taught pup to go into the house by allowing it. If pup was taken outside immoderately when being let out of crate, brought to the same spot every time, and treated right away, pup wouldn't think house was the place to go. Pup is being given way too much freedom of the house at this stage. It should have happened once at most, but they allowed it again and again. There is probably also remaining pee smell in the area.

I'd also check for UTI if pup is going frequently.

You should absolutely take the puppy back to "house train" him for them. This is a wonderful opportunity. After you have had the pup for a week, send them back their check and explain that there is something wrong with the pup. They probably have not registered him yet and you can figure that out on-line and register him to yourself. If they have already registered him, call them and explain he has a genetic problem with his kidneys or something. They will be glad to get their money back. Keep him for a couple more weeks to verify that he is fine and then sell him to a nice family who isn't nuts.

labbylover777
I have a client that took a pup home and said they can't house train it. They say they are doing everything they know to do but the pup just comes right up and poops right in front of them, and pees in the house, after just going out and going potty, and coming in.

Why would a puppy mark its territory? This is all new to me?

Oh, and get this: they want me to take the pup back and house train it for them. They are bullying me to do this!

clap-clap-clap! Great Idea!