Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Immune Mediated Polyarthritis

This is not the final diagnosis for an 8 year old boy that I bred. But I wonder if anyone has dealt with this disease. The dog was horsing around with another dog. He seemed fine. Was able to jump on the bed. A day and a half later, he becomes horribly lame and needs help with a harness to go to the bathroom.
The first visit with the family vet was that he had two torn ACL's!!! Later that evening, a veterinary orthopedist said that he highly suspects IMPA. . . an autoimmune disease. The dog is somewhat better on 100 mgs Tramadol, two times per day.

A Lyme test was negative but if it were my dog, I still would treat for Lyme. What the heck. . . doxycycline is cheap.

Does anyone have anything to offer on this one. The orthopedist said it was common in Labs. I can't find that anywhere in the literature. Why do they always say that!

Re: Immune Mediated Polyarthritis

breeder
. . . doxycycline is cheap.

Not anymore. The cheapest I've been able to Rx it for is about $75 for a Labrador sized dog. Other prices I've seen has been upwards of $200.

Re: Immune Mediated Polyarthritis

My newest rescue tested positive for Lyme and it was $48 for each 10 days of refills. 2 pills twice a day.