Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Orijen Large Breed Puppy

Wondering if anyone has experience feeding young pups Orijen. I feed it to my adults but have never started a litter on it. Wondering if anyone has and were you pleased with the results (stool, coat, growth, etc.)?

Thanks!

Re: Orijen Large Breed Puppy

I have weaned litters onto Orijen all breed puppy; I don't use large breed formulations so never tried theirs. Puppies did fine; no issues as puppies or as adults, digestive or ortho-wise. I fed Orijen/Acana products for close to 8 years.

However, I finally had a litter that flat-out REFUSED to even try the gruel with the Orijen, come weaning time. I don't know whether it was the texture (grittier than other kibbles when softened) or what, but as the days went by and they would not go for anything but breast milk, and the dam was getting tired, I called a friend with a puppy and asked for a bit of her Pro Plan Puppy to see if they would take that, and they dove into it! So we went with the Pro Plan, and haven't gone back to Orijen products since. Switched all my adults onto Pro Plan as well.

I saw no difference in puppies raised on either - all bloomy and robust, no issues as pups or as adults.

I feed all my dogs Orijen, and use the Large Breed puppy instead of the regular after having a long discussion with their Nutritionist. The fat content is a little lower in the Large versus the Regular. The puppies stools are always good and they gain at a good rate,it's also easy to put a little extra on without having to feed alot. I feed the large breed till about a year and then start adding in the Regional Red first, then they go on whatever rotation I am feeding at the time.
Feed whatever you are comfortable with and like the ingredients of, I prefer a non grain as protein source food for many reasons, many others dogs do fine on them,to each his own, it's just my preference not to.

I feed the LBP but I start very slow and add baby rice cereal to the soaked blended kibble. Ex: litter of 8: started with 1/4 cup (dry measure) per pup and soak and blend. To this I add a total of 1/2 cup of rice cereal. Keep an eye on stools and add more cereal if necessary. (use cereal not matter what kibble I start pups on)

Keep an eye on stools which were good and slowly increased amount of kibble and add a bit more cereal if necessary (eventually eliminate cereal).

Then I move on to soaked kibble that is mashed with a potato masher (left a bit chunky) and eventually pups are eating soaked kibble(no mashing) and than kibble with water added (unsoaked) for the last 5-7 days before they go to their new homes.

I switch to Orijen adult around 14 months.

Thank you guys for discussing your experiences/opinions.

Start slow
I feed the LBP but I start very slow and add baby rice cereal to the soaked blended kibble. Ex: litter of 8: started with 1/4 cup (dry measure) per pup and soak and blend. To this I add a total of 1/2 cup of rice cereal. Keep an eye on stools and add more cereal if necessary. (use cereal not matter what kibble I start pups on)

Keep an eye on stools which were good and slowly increased amount of kibble and add a bit more cereal if necessary (eventually eliminate cereal).

Then I move on to soaked kibble that is mashed with a potato masher (left a bit chunky) and eventually pups are eating soaked kibble(no mashing) and than kibble with water added (unsoaked) for the last 5-7 days before they go to their new homes.

Have you been in my home for the past 7 weeks and 25 years hehe? I do the same including the Rice Cereal and use a Potato masher. I'm glad I'm not the only 1 doing the same. I also give benebac before food and especially when a litter begins food for a couple to few weeks.

Breeder
Start slow

Have you been in my home for the past 7 weeks and 25 years hehe? I do the same including the Rice Cereal and use a Potato masher. I'm glad I'm not the only 1 doing the same. I also give benebac before food and especially when a litter begins food for a couple to few weeks.

LOL, actually this was the first litter I used a masher (have used the cereal for every litter). It works great. I also used benebac with this litter at around 2 weeks of age because of very loose stools and it did the job within 3 days. I did call Lambert and spoke to a vet as to dose because my pups needed a bit more than the tube directions. He said follow directions as a preventative, but if stools are already loose they need a bit more.

I still use a blender for the first couple of days but a few litters ago I discovered the potato masher. It is easy and the pups love the consistency. Sometimes I think the blender makes it too mushy.

Start slow
Breeder
Start slow

LOL, actually this was the first litter I used a masher (have used the cereal for every litter). It works great. I also used benebac with this litter at around 2 weeks of age because of very loose stools and it did the job within 3 days. I did call Lambert and spoke to a vet as to dose because my pups needed a bit more than the tube directions. He said follow directions as a preventative, but if stools are already loose they need a bit more.

I also start with a blender and once they are eating well I go to the masher.

LOL
I still use a blender for the first couple of days but a few litters ago I discovered the potato masher. It is easy and the pups love the consistency. Sometimes I think the blender makes it too mushy.

Start slow
Breeder
Start slow