Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Email scam, first time I got hit with it! Be careful!

CAUTION! I received an email to see if I had any girl puppies left, I replied I had 1 left available and would send information later.
This was the return email:

"Thanks very much for your response. I would be buying one of the female Puppy you have for sale so kindly reserve it for me. You have to bear with me that . I am sending you this email to make final reconfirmation of the one Puppy which am willing to buy for my wife birthday present and I also want to let you know that payment will be by certified Check . However, I want to alert you on the fact that you will be receiving the Check this week and payment will cover your cost and as well as the shipping cost to be paid to the person that will take care of the pickup in your house. So please as soon as you receive the payment, get it cashed immediately, deduct the money that accrues to you and send the remaining balance to the Head Office of the company that handles the shipment via Western union. More so, I will pay you an extra $50 if you can reserve this for me. So in view of the above, Here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the Check or Money Order to you.

(1) Full Name
(2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please
(3) your direct telephone number both home and cell.?
{4} Acceptance of my offer
(5} Final asking price Once you get back to me with all the above information s, the check will be issued out immediately and it will be sent to you.

Best Regards
xxxxxx"

Email address is martinwilson972@gmail.com and his IP is coming from Google unfortunately.

He or THey are attempting identity theft or more.

I told him I don't think so, I decide where my puppies are homed, not gifted and that this was a SCAM. A 1st for me in a few decades. He found me on AKC I believe. Should I let them know or just let it die off?

Thanks for any replies and watch out for the same.

Re: Email scam, first time I got hit with it! Be careful!

Delete the email and be done with it. That's what I would do. I would never sell a puppy like that.

lol…you are lucky this is the first time its happened to you. I've gotten those kinds of emails for YEARS…same thing, different story, same broken English…"delete!"

I received the same email. DELETE.

This is a scam and it has been going on for years. They don't want a puppy. They want you to cash a counterfeit check or money order and then send the money to them via Western Union. People who fall for such scams often don't realize that they will be out the money - even if they didn't know the check or money order was counterfeit. The money almost always leaves the country. If you fall for this, you will not get your money back. This scam is not limited to ads for puppies. It happens all of the time when people place ads to sell something.

Stephanie Herman
This is a scam and it has been going on for years. They don't want a puppy. They want you to cash a counterfeit check or money order and then send the money to them via Western Union. People who fall for such scams often don't realize that they will be out the money - even if they didn't know the check or money order was counterfeit. The money almost always leaves the country. If you fall for this, you will not get your money back. This scam is not limited to ads for puppies. It happens all of the time when people place ads to sell something.
I don't advertise my puppies. This happened 10 days after I registered the litter with AKC. I know I'm lucky to have not had this happen prior and I've seen the Craig's list emails when selling a car so I knew what was up.

I posted it in case, as you said, some don't know it's a scam and I was annoyed. I know not to sell my puppies that way 2nd poster. I screen prospective puppy buyers as if they were adopting an infant child because they are! I have a group of wonderful people so far because I turned down 2/3's of the referred contacts for good reasons.

Thanks for your comments, I hope my post saves 1 breeder from believing this crap.

Me
Delete the email and be done with it. That's what I would do. I would never sell a puppy like that.
I never have and never would sell a puppy like that. I said Be Careful right in the subject line.

I did send it with appropriate back up to my ISP and Google Gmail abuse and spoke with Google and my ISP today. Security said it will make their lives a little more difficult. I know it will continue but maybe they'll have a few days off. I am done with it now.

It was also a warning to others as I said.

Always a good reminder. Another scam I just read an article about which is similar is a job ad to be a "mystery shopper". You are given local contacts and put in touch with local "supervisors" with local phone numbers and all, and it all sounds legit, and involves you "working" undercover for Western Union. Same scam about the certified cheque, wanting you to cash it, send money and supposedly get reimbursed, all the while believing you're working for the security dept of Western Union. It's a bit more convincing because it involves you making up the false name of the person who is supposed to get the money at the other end, and they assure you that Western Union checks ID of anyone picking up money, so the money will be unclaimed and returned to you, and the whole process is being monitored by their security dept. You know how the story ends.

Terrible that they prey on the unemployed, the Breeders, the trusting and hard working people. :(