Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
drugging a show dog with anxiety disorder

Ok, this is a doozie…I took a bitch back from a family that bought her 2 years ago from me, then husband was deployed to Afghanistan (and somewhere else) anyway, the family has moved around a lot, finally, due to his PTSD, they have not had a good financial picture and could only find an apartment to live in, and could not keep the dog.

Well, when they brought her back my mouth was on the ground (figuratively) at how beautiful she was, and tried not be act giddy that I had her back. She is BEAUTIFUL!!! Long story short, she can not stand still in the ring. She's gaiting better, but when the judge goes to examine her she sits, gets all wiggly---she is easily distracted, etc….in my kennel she barks incessantly which is driving us up a wall. we've tried everything from water sprays to a collar, nothing works.

I hate to give up on her…but what do you think is causing this..she's obviously a house pet that is not happy in a kennel situation. I get that. She seems too high strung for what I would expect to come out of her parents. They are not that way. I'd like to show her. Has anyone ever used something to calm them down? Is that illegal? Would it work? Desperate for answers at this point before dumping a GREAT show dog (and I'm not kidding, she's gorgeous!) into another pet home…not sure I want to do that until I can correct some of her bad habits, you know?

Re: drugging a show dog with anxiety disorder

I would definitley make her a house dog. Then once she is accustomed to being with you in the house pack, I would start taking her to handling classes so she can learn what is expected of her, then do matches with her, then onto shows once your anxiety settles down. Th

Think about the changes this poor thing has had. She just needs to know she is "home" now to stay. Give her time.

How about actually training her?? Get her out and about around distractions and teach her what you expect of her. Group obedience classes or handling classes would be a good start.

Sounds like she needs to be a house dog- at least part time. Maybe possibly later transition to a kennel. She needs to bond and learn to trust you. Sounds like she needs socialization and training general obedience and show training.

I find this whole thing very sad. You sold an innocent puppy to a family where it didn't work out. Maybe your judgement error--maybe not. Thank goodness they brought the puppy back to you and so what do you do but throw her out in a kennel and post here trying to figure out how to drug her into doing what you want. Take a look in the mirror. Happy are the ugly puppies.

The terrible treatment of this poor animal breaks my heart. She lost her family and then you put her in a strange kennel with dogs she didn't know and a life she couldn't recognize. She begged for mercy and you punished her. And now you want to drug her??? For heaven's sake, find this dog a home where she will be loved as part of a family.

just me
How about actually training her?? Get her out and about around distractions and teach her what you expect of her. Group obedience classes or handling classes would be a good start.

Absolutely, get her out and about and train where you can spend lots of time bonding and teaching obedience. Couldn't agree more!

"The terrible treatment of this poor animal breaks my heart. She lost her family and then you put her in a strange kennel with dogs she didn't know and a life she couldn't recognize. She begged for mercy and you punished her. And now you want to drug her??? For heaven's sake, find this dog a home where she will be loved as part of a family."

I agree and cannot say it better than this. Find someone who will love the dog, and who will consider her part of their family, and let her live in their home and share their lives. The dog does not have an anxiety disorder. She is upset and you are not helping her.

I agree with the OB & show handling classes. Lots of training should help. Try her in the ring again. Before her class, give her and you too some Rescue Remedy.

If she has not adjusted after a couple of months, put her in a pet home.

Drug her? Really? I find that dogs have to be trained to hold still, not wiggle, not sit, when the judge goes over them. The difference is that your keepers got the training young so by the time they were this girls age they knew the drill. How long have you been training her for the show routine? Why not do her show training gradually just as if she were a puppy?

As far as barking in the kennel, she was raised in the house, why on earth would she think it is okay to be in a kennel. Can't she be in the house with you? Try more exercise and training, maybe she has the energy to do hunt test or agility training. Her owners were spending one on one time with her and now she probably doesn't get nearly as much, does she get to go for walks with you?

Or you could just give her to me!

Well, what else would you expect. Labs can take on the stress trying to heal their owners.

No Labrador should be living their lives in kennels 24/7. I hurts me anytime I read about "Show" or Field" breeders who keep their Labbies living in a kennel and not being part of the family.

Part of being a breeder is not just to be a producer, but an owner. If you can't give time to all your dogs why have so many. Good homes can be found so the Lab can live out its life in a family situation.

I'd hate for you to keep this girl for selfish reasons. She deserves better. I can't image how she feels being sent away from her owners. While the situation was not ideal I am sure she bonded with her family. She does not understand the way humans do. All she knows is she is not with her family.

I'd be looking for a home who had an interest in breeding and showing her. If she is that wonderful and she is ever bred you can take a puppy back from a litter. Best to be a mentor in this situation.

Our soldiers coming home need help. It would wonderful if more fund raisers could be held so families can keep their pets. This is not an isolated issue.

All the money Budweiser spent in production of their Super Bowl ads, and the cost for airing could go a long way if spent on our military returning home.

Lucky you to have her back again. I would start out by making a house dog out of her. Sounds like she has always been one and that kennel life is not for her. The barking is just telling you she needs your attention and it will probably never change owing to the fact that she was someone's pet for her first few years and very used to being with humans. After she has bonded with you, I would take her everywhere you can.......on walks in the neighborhood, strolls along strip malls, shopping centers and to banks or pet shops that allow dogs. Keep your pocket full of treats and have people give her a treat when appropriate. At this same time, start teaching her some manners or at least finding out what she knows and doesn't know and ease her into some fun obedience classes. When you feed her at mean times, pet her gently and she'll get used to being touched while getting treats, sort of mimicking her future experiences in the show ring. This is going to take a lot of time in personal effort on your part. If she's worth the investment then stick to it. If after 6 or 7 months with no improvement, I'd find a nice pet home for her and let her sleep on someone's bed at night. OUr dogs don't owe us anything. We choose the life we want for them...or rather a life for them that makes us feel good. If they've tried and it doesn't work out, then we need to have them sitting by the fireplace with their head on their owner's knee.

You know this poor dog was a part of a family getting lots of attention and living in the house. To take her and put her in a kennel with no contact except at feeding time and being one of many would be very stressful for the dog. Then to take her to a show with no training and expect her to stand stay for an exam is something she knows nothing about. I'm sorry but for you to suggest the solution is to drug her tells me that you are not in the right hobby. Please find a nice home for this dog and give her a happy life.

First of all, why sell a puppy to a person who will be having to leave it for a job or military. Then the puppy gets into his new home and settles in and then his master leaves. Now, you, being the good breeder that you are, had stars in your eyes at how lovely she is. Now, don't try to rehabilitate her, just think of how wonderful you will look in the ring with her and probably will breed her. All for the glorification of you. Why throw her in a kennel when she needs help. Where are your kind, motherly instincts? Just where did they go. And why tell us your horrible, selfish story. You need the drug not the dog.

JMO
You know this poor dog was a part of a family getting lots of attention and living in the house. To take her and put her in a kennel with no contact except at feeding time and being one of many would be very stressful for the dog. Then to take her to a show with no training and expect her to stand stay for an exam is something she knows nothing about. I'm sorry but for you to suggest the solution is to drug her tells me that you are not in the right hobby. Please find a nice home for this dog and give her a happy life.

And STOP breeding.

I second the previous poster, you shouldn't even own a dog.

"Desperate for answers at this point before dumping a great show dog......." Dumping????

Your ONLY interest in this dog is if she can do something for you!!!!! Shame on you, your philosophies are what gives breeders a bad name. I agree with a previous poster, look in the mirror before you blame, scold, spray and drug this innocent dog!

I hadn't really noticed before, you sprayed and shocked her too. And the "doozy" part of it all is you never even thought that what you were doing was wrong. No, you thought you should come on here and ask what drugs you might give her. I bet there are quite a few more stories your dogs could tell. I am sure there is a special place reserved for you.

labbylover
Ok, this is a doozie…I took a bitch back from a family that bought her 2 years ago from me, then husband was deployed to Afghanistan (and somewhere else) anyway, the family has moved around a lot, finally, due to his PTSD, they have not had a good financial picture and could only find an apartment to live in, and could not keep the dog.

Well, when they brought her back my mouth was on the ground (figuratively) at how beautiful she was, and tried not be act giddy that I had her back. She is BEAUTIFUL!!! Long story short, she can not stand still in the ring. She's gaiting better, but when the judge goes to examine her she sits, gets all wiggly---she is easily distracted, etc….in my kennel she barks incessantly which is driving us up a wall. we've tried everything from water sprays to a collar, nothing works.

I hate to give up on her…but what do you think is causing this..she's obviously a house pet that is not happy in a kennel situation. I get that. She seems too high strung for what I would expect to come out of her parents. They are not that way. I'd like to show her. Has anyone ever used something to calm them down? Is that illegal? Would it work? Desperate for answers at this point before dumping a GREAT show dog (and I'm not kidding, she's gorgeous!) into another pet home…not sure I want to do that until I can correct some of her bad habits, you know?

Seriously??? You call yourself "Labbylover".. I think you are far from that. Try and put yourself in that poor dog's situation, an unstable lifestyle to being back with you and thrown into a kennel life. Sprayed in the face with water and some sort of training collar to try and correct something that isn't her fault. Please find this bitch a new home with a wonderful family that will love her and allow her to be part of their lives. Very sad and shame on you for only thinking about yourself.

Why was the dog sold as a pet and not spayed by two years of age?

Breeders grill into puppy buyers heads that the Labrador Retriever is a "family" dog. They are not the breed you leave in the back yard. Yaddah yaddahhhh yaddahhh I have heard the speech given meany times. But when a dog had lived in a home for two years - probably slept in the humans bed - you toss it out into the kennel and then bitch about the barking?? Are you kidding? Then bitch because it is too happy in the ring? She does not have an anxiety disorder. What the H$#@@!!! She is a wiggly Lab. I would take a happy wiggly Lab in the ring over a boring robotic, emotional-less, dead beat.
When I placed my last young adult - before she was two - the new home had her spayed ASAP. When I saw her months later I had small regrets. She bloomed into a stunning dog. But that was short lived because I knew the home she was in was perfect in every way. THAT. IS. ALL. THAT. MATTERED.
That dog needs a pet home. You should be ashamed. This is why I choose VERY carefully where I get my dogs.

Without any of us being around this dog, who knows why she is acting that way. Perhaps she was that way in her previous home and rather than telling the breeder we just can't deal with her, they gave her other reasons to give her back. It happens.

Everyone is making assumptions and well, I think we all know what assuming anything can do. Some dogs handle change and transitions better than others. I suggest speaking with your veterinarian about what you're dealing with & possibly putting your gal on Prozac or some type of medication that helps stressed out dogs. It is not a permanent solution but might help her transition into your home/kennel situation.

You all are denigrating this breeder who houses his/her dogs in a kennel. Housing dogs exclusively in a kennel environment may not be what you or I would do. . . but to be sure, in the pedigrees of your dogs, I bet most of the dogs were housed this way. Sometimes the only contact they have with their owners is in the show ring. . . and they show like gang-busters. . . wonder why? These are the dogs that are traded like baseball cards. These are the dogs who you use to sire your puppies because the owners are so prestigious.

So get real. The breeder of this particular bitch saw something special in her and wants to do what you ALL want to do ( and sometimes at any expense to the dog), win in the ring. The breeder's mistake was to put a question on a public forum. The breeder should have picked up the phone and called one of the anointed ones for advice.

Sorry, this "breeder" made many more important mistakes than coming here seeking advice. Her story makes me sick. That poor dog. I really hope she feels the grief and sorrow of this poor dog someday. Maybe her children will dump her in a nursing home someday...

Pot Stirrer
You all are denigrating this breeder who houses his/her dogs in a kennel. Housing dogs exclusively in a kennel environment may not be what you or I would do. . . but to be sure, in the pedigrees of your dogs, I bet most of the dogs were housed this way. Sometimes the only contact they have with their owners is in the show ring. . . and they show like gang-busters. . . wonder why? These are the dogs that are traded like baseball cards. These are the dogs who you use to sire your puppies because the owners are so prestigious.

So get real. The breeder of this particular bitch saw something special in her and wants to do what you ALL want to do ( and sometimes at any expense to the dog), win in the ring. The breeder's mistake was to put a question on a public forum. The breeder should have picked up the phone and called one of the anointed ones for advice.

What if the general public understood this? Letting this out for public consumption can really hurt those of us who are commercial breeders. Thank God only breeders go to this forum.

Hell, I've got a big Mansion with the kennels out back and I've won at Potomac. Who's judging me? As long as I can buy top billing on Google I'll out sell any of the small time breeders who let their Labradors in their living space.

OP. Drug this dog, do what ever it takes. Winning is everything sweetheart.

Correct Labrador Temperament is a hallmark of the breed. What if this beautiful girl has some form of personality disorder that would produce pups just like her?

Spay and place in a loving home who has the time and money to get the young lady better.

I am really shocked at some of these answers.

OP, I'm sorry about some of the responses. If you are willing to work with her, she may come around. Long ago we had a dog which we gave Benadryl to in order to calm her prior to non AKC obedience showing which my children showed her in. The Benadryl really settled her. We bred her once, none of her pups had her jittery issues, in fact I still here from families and they are delighted with pups and that was many years ago. After that breeding, I did not want to breed her again and my children did not want to compete with her, so she went back to her breeder who wanted her to run hunt tests. She was too jittery for the hunt test environment and he place her with an elderly couple where she was spoiled. You could try Benadryl or Melatonin for a time or two, they may help her get use to the show environment as they'll make her feel relaxed and she'll learn to associate that feeling with showing. You know her lines and what the baseline temperament is of those lines. if you have the time to work with her through the adjustment, go for it. All the best.

Happy ending!

Well, thanks for all of you that reiterated what I feel was best for this dog. No thanks for all the ones who just like to scorch everyone and expect the worst in them.

I was able to reach the prior owner, and they now live in a house where she can be with them…great timing. She is being reunited with her family tomorrow! YAY! So happy!

Your answer makes no sense at all…learn to write…or express yourself better. You are talking out both sides of your mouth.

Yes, the person you replied to had some really good points. I love when people say it the "way it is" so refreshing.
So many would have done exactly what this breeder did, and think nothing of it. But then come here on a forum and be so judgey and speak a good game…

Not every breeder can take in a new dog to their living space. Many of us live in small homes. Some of us have VERY nice kennels (as nice as our house!) Why do people judge those that have kennels? Most of those breeders you all kiss their asses have kennels. And you buy their pups and you purchase their semen. Why support what you don't believe in? Oh yeah, I forgot, you are all going for the ever lovin' ribbon too, after all…don't deny it.

Give me a break. Such two faced people…but that is what happens when you have an anonymous forum…people who hide (for good reason) behind a made up name. I hope it makes them feel better. They are the only ones they are helping.

Funny fact, those commenting on this thread have actually drugged their own dogs for the show ring…they just won't admit it.

Since no one has named themselves, I'm really curious how you can profess to know the folks have drugged their dogs and claim it as fact. Seems to me to be conjecture at best.

Re: Happy ending!

labbylover
Well, thanks for all of you that reiterated what I feel was best for this dog. No thanks for all the ones who just like to scorch everyone and expect the worst in them.

I was able to reach the prior owner, and they now live in a house where she can be with them…great timing. She is being reunited with her family tomorrow! YAY! So happy!

I really hope this is true and the poor girl is reunited with her family. I am just shocked at your OP, it made me sick to my stomach. It makes me want to cry to think about what this poor pup went through while with you. She was no better off with you than she would have been in a shelter. You are not thinking about what is best for this wonderful breed, you care only about the glory, only about yourself. It is so sad and you know what? Karma is a b*tch. Please stop breeding, you don't deserve to even own a Lab.

disgusted
I really hope this is true and the poor girl is reunited with her family. I am just shocked at your OP, it made me sick to my stomach. It makes me want to cry to think about what this poor pup went through while with you. She was no better off with you than she would have been in a shelter. You are not thinking about what is best for this wonderful breed, you care only about the glory, only about yourself. It is so sad and you know what? Karma is a b*tch. Please stop breeding, you don't deserve to even own a Lab.

What a total judgmental POS you are! Who do you think you are to tell this person how horrible they are because they do not take care of the dog the way you think they should?

It's a dog. Dogs live in kennels. Dogs adjust. You weren't there to see the dog and by the sounds of you and few others read way too much into the post and put your elitist human feelings on to this dog. Instead of making suggestions you berated this person and attacked her. SHAME ON YOU. Yes, karma is a b*tch and I hope she is visiting you shortly for your absolute horrible treatment of a fellow human being.

Pot Stirrer

I disagree with you Pot Stirrer. My first and last post about this. I've heard about it from others and finally read it to my dismay. This dog obviously wasn't raised in a kennel for 2 years, she was raised in a home and is vocal that she isn't happy as a kennel or show dog. She's telling you something. Either love her out of the kennel or give her a good home where she'll be back in a house once again. I doubt you would want to live differently then you do now. Bring a thin mattress out to the kennel and live there with her for a few days then tell us how much you wanted to complain too.She could teach you how to bark out your complaints. Would you OP want water sprayed at you or a shock collar for complaining about a lifestyle you weren't used to? It sounds like that's all she's doing, complaining about a lifestyle she never lived before. Don't drug her, what are you doing to improve the breed by doing that? Nothing!

I think there's alot more to this story then was told. I also wonder why she is still not spayed if in a pet home at age 2? I don't like pups spayed at 6 months but do expect buyers to spay 3 months after 1 heat or by age 18 to 24 mo's for pet home boys in the best interests of the dogs skeletal health. See Chris Zink, early spay-neuter articles. This girl has probably gone through 2 to 3 heat cycles already. Just saying and wondering if she was supposed to come back to have a litter for the OP or some other arrangement. That happens much more then some discuss until they have those extra litters.

labbylover

From a house to an apartment back to a house that fast. It's a miracle. A miracle for that dog let her be reunited with her family, live in a home again and give up the kennel life she despises and didn't know anything about.

I hope the owners keep her and take care of her. Cause if I had a dog that I 'had' to give up and then I got a house I would be on the phone with the breeder to get my dog back. Not the other way around!!

disgusted

What a total judgmental POS you are! Who do you think you are to tell this person how horrible they are because they do not take care of the dog the way you think they should?

It's a dog. Dogs live in kennels. Dogs adjust. You weren't there to see the dog and by the sounds of you and few others read way too much into the post and put your elitist human feelings on to this dog. Instead of making suggestions you berated this person and attacked her. SHAME ON YOU. Yes, karma is a b*tch and I hope she is visiting you shortly for your absolute horrible treatment of a fellow human being.

Well now, do you feel better? MY dogs do NOT live in kennels, they are a part of the family, loved and cherished. I am not too worried about karma but thanks for the heads up. Now go take a xanax, you obviously need one.

disgusted
Well now, do you feel better? MY dogs do NOT live in kennels, they are a part of the family, loved and cherished. I am not too worried about karma but thanks for the heads up. Now go take a xanax, you obviously need one.

You are such a peach! Just because all your dogs live in your house you think you are better than those who chose to have dogs in kennels? You think that gives you the right to judge others and tell them they should never own a dog? Where and how do you think the descendants of your dogs used to live? Before all this humanizing of dogs stuff? Yeah, that's right they all lived in kennels! So thank all those breeders before you that bred the many litters to produce the numbers of dogs they did so that you can sit back and judge them all for keeping their dogs in kennels!

Dogs are dog not little fur kids or fur babies. Family is human, not dogs. These are our pets, but they NEVER take the place of real humans. But by the sounds of things you don't care one iota for your fellow human and attack at the drop of a hat if it goes against your self-appointed elitist view. Stay up on your self-righteous high horse. We can all see what a nasty, vile person you really are. Get a grip, you're delusional! Your name fits you as you truly are disgusting!