Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potomac

Am not a breeder, never have been, never will be. I home senior labs.

This past year has been a very hard one; both my parents passed, the weather has been horrible. Our current senior is at the point where going for walks in deep snow and ice is not possible. It's been depressing.

One of the things on my bucket list is to go to the Potomac to see all the labs. My husband has been pushing me for years to go and this year he says it's the break I need. Can't disagree with that.

My question, what are the best days to go? I won't be able to stay the entire time of the show. Are the veterans still shown at the gala? Would I be allowed to go? That would be a highlight of my trip.

Are there hotels close without taking up a room at the host hotel?

Sorry for butting in on a breeder forum but thought you all would be the best to ask. Thanks for any information.

Re: Potomac

Hi Fran,

Of course you can go! I have been quite a few times, and have always chatted with a few pet owners ringside.

Friday is Best of Breed, so the Winners Dog and Winners Bitch and all the specials will be shown, so that is a great day to be there to watch. They also have the best puppy, stud dog and brood bitch competitions on Friday. They still have the Gala, with the veterans, and juniors showing respectively inside the host hotel on Wednesday night. So if I could only go a few days, I would shoot for Wednesday through Friday. Buy a catalog and ask someone to help you read it, so you can select classes you want to watch. There are three rings going on at the same time, so you have to plan ahead if you want to see a particular class. Bring clothing for all weather situations, it can be 90 degrees or snowing, and anything in between. Sunscreen is a must and lot of layered clothing, And a wide brimmed hat, since they do not allow shade tents anymore, you will be exposed to the elements, rain or shine. Bring a cooler with a few snacks and water, those are expensive at the site, and a chair, the days are long.

There are a few local hotels, many prefer the Hampton across the freeway, it's nice and away from the show site a bit. You can probably map it from google if you look for the Francis Scott Key mall, and look across the freeway on the map, you can locate other area hotels this way too.

yes the veteran's are still shown at the gala on Wednesday night. You don't have to buy a table at the gala. You can go last minute and still get a seat in the bleachers. Last year I couldn't go for the whole week. I drove down Wednesday night and showed on Thursday morning. I stayed all day Thursday and Friday. I got to watch a lot of classes plus winners dog, winners bitch, and best of breed. If you can make it for the Wednesday night gala it is well worth it. If you can't, going just Thursday and Friday there is plenty to see and do. There are a number of hotels nearby that still have rooms even last minute.

The Potomac Club is very active in Lab rescue. There is a parade of rescue dogs one of the days of the show which is also something you might like to see. It is very heartwarming.

If you go even for just 2 days you won't be disappointed.

Did this help you Fran?
I thought it was quite nice that two people took the time to respond to you, it would be very nice of you to let them know if they helped you, or not.

Dear Ahem, AKA Miss Manners

Your post was not helpful nor was it kind.

How was it unkind? Good manners never go out of style.

People took time to reply, and heard nothing back? Does she have more questions, did they answer the questions she had? Does she need more help or information?

Your post was not particularly helpful either.

Ahem
How was it unkind? Good manners never go out of style.

People took time to reply, and heard nothing back? Does she have more questions, did they answer the questions she had? Does she need more help or information?

Your post was not particularly helpful either.

Fran AKA PopTart is one of the sweetest, thoughtful persons in the Labrador world. If she did not get back to this thread it is most likely a computer issue, or family matter.

I am absolutely sure anyone would want her for a friend.

My apologies to those who felt I offended by not responding to the posts. It is extremely rare for me to post here because I am not a breeder. I do read the posts for information and trying to learn more.

Thank you for the information. It is a great help. I need to plan my trip and make reservations.

If I may ask one more question, how can I get tickets to the gala? Is that appropriate for someone in my position? I probably will be bringing along my 17 year old grandson as we will continue on our trip to visit my parent's grave site in Arlington for a visit. My grandson loves going to our local dog shows. This trip would be a real treat for him too.

Again, thank you. I did not intent to offend.

No need for tickets to the Gala unless you are part of a group who has purchased a table. Drinks are available for purchase. Just come on in and join us peasants in the bleacher cheap seats! It's free! (Most people grab something to eat before or after the festivities.)

Welcome and enjoy your first Potomac! It's pretty darn amazing!

Thank you. I've been thinking about going for the past 6 years. I want to see all those gorgeous labs.

Fran,

Enjoy yourself and God Bless you for taking care of those very special senior dogs :)

I like the bleachers. You can see everything clearly from the cheap seats.

I too would venture a trip to Potomac if I knew Loch Mor Romeo was going to be there.

Will his owner/ handler be taking Romeo to the States? He is cleaning up in Europe, how do you think he would stack up against the competition at Potomac?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2dUCZhmcs