Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
define "reasonable" vet fees to be determined when surgery is done to correct a congenital defect?

So our state dog law requires that if within 30 days a pup is found to have a congenital/hereditary defect the person has the option to return the dog for a refund, or a replacement pup, or be reimbursed "reasonable vet fees" if the defect is reparable by surgery. This pup needed repair for a Urachal Diverticulum. My understanding is it occurs in utero.
Who determines what is "reasonable" vet fees without causing hard feelings on either side of the issue? Its so VAGUE. Any advice anyone can give.

Like…is it the surgery itself? (not the tests leading up to the diagnosis) or both? what is "reasonable?" I want to be fair, you know?

Re: define "reasonable" vet fees to be determined when surgery is done to correct a congenital def

I would never reimburse for more than the price of the puppy.

As far as what's a fair price for that surgery, maybe you can ask for some prices from the vet on items you KNOW the prices for. I have seen several vets recently, and one wanted to charge me up the wazoo for something that my other vet was going to charge $175 for. While not the same surgery...if they tend to be charging a mint for a spay, they are probably over-priced in their other procedures. Or call YOUR vet and explain what's needed and get a price from them.

If the procedure and the vet visit to diagnose the problem are less than the price of the dog, I would make sure they prices are "reasonable" based on above. If everything is going to be more than the pup, I would reimburse them for the pup, and the rest is their responsibility.

Re: define "reasonable" vet fees to be determined when surgery is done to correct a congenital def

I think reasonable would be whatever it takes to, as a TV home expert Mike Holmes says, "make it right." I had to look up the condition, which was new to me, and it is seemingly worse than ectopic ureter. The puppy cannot be housebroken, is probably susceptible to frequent urinary tract infections, and may be in pain. This is something the puppy had when it lived with you, and the definition of a caring and ethical breeder includes swallowing hard, being sympathetic, and fixing the problem. If they prefer to keep the puppy, then you get quotes and you pay for the tests and the surgery, unless their vet went on a wild fishing expedition and did stuff like MRIs when an ultrasound would have sufficed, for example. Sometimes being nice and throwing money at a problem becomes the best advertising you could ever do for your breeding program: you were a breeder who could be trusted even when life threw you and the puppy buyer a curve ball. This is a puppy who can't even live outside because of the condition and the resulting infections and pain. If it is fixable, fix it. If not, refund and follow your state lemon law and more, with sympathy and kindness. Good luck to all concerned, especially the puppy.

Our contract stated "up to the price of the puppy" however on a returned pup we had spent far more than the price.

Well said.
You brought this puppy into the world; now do right by him.

Reasonable is up to the price of puppy in my opinion. Sometimes we all seem to think we should "do whatever it takes" and financially that is not always the best decision and from a health perspective it may not be the best decision either when thinking long-term care and there are no guarantees the health issue would be resolved 100percent. I do think there are times that we all need to look at the entire situation and weigh the long term care, immediate medical need, and overall costs. There are situations where euthanasia may be the better choice from a care and financial perspective.

Broken puppy hit the nail on the head.

I too think reasonable is the cost to fix the problem. You could call around and ask for the cost of the repair to see if the vet you are planning to use charges around the same as others.

One has to ask, if this were my puppy and I had not sold it, would I have the repair done.

Many breeders see each pup like their own child. They decided on the parents of the pups and take full responsibility for any birth defect. Others feel I only have to offer a replacement pup from a future litter.

Which breeder are you? Would you take this pup to a Teaching Vet hospital, or shop around for the cheapest Vet to do the job. Myself, I'd try to find a Vet who has some experience doing many of the procedures. Price of being a responsible breeder.

happy ending!

Although my vet would have charge about 1/2 the price that their vet did to do the same surgery, I decided to still refund the price of the pup with no questions.

I still think that "reasonable vet fees" clause just causes confusion and is just setting up a buyer and breeder for an argument. But I'd rather just do what is fair and right and not argue at all.

Re: happy ending!

In the end, what feels right to you is the best decision.

Our Law in California is 1 1/2 times the cost of the puppy.

Me
I would never reimburse for more than the price of the puppy.

As far as what's a fair price for that surgery, maybe you can ask for some prices from the vet on items you KNOW the prices for. I have seen several vets recently, and one wanted to charge me up the wazoo for something that my other vet was going to charge $175 for. While not the same surgery...if they tend to be charging a mint for a spay, they are probably over-priced in their other procedures. Or call YOUR vet and explain what's needed and get a price from them.

If the procedure and the vet visit to diagnose the problem are less than the price of the dog, I would make sure they prices are "reasonable" based on above. If everything is going to be more than the pup, I would reimburse them for the pup, and the rest is their responsibility.
I feel similar but check your state's laws before you say never. Location makes a difference in vet fees too.

I would imagine if a puppy buyer signed a contract that states they will not get back more than the price of the puppy, the contract would hold up.