Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to say he is too old

I'm sure this has happened to many people but it is a first for me. I got an e-mail asking for a puppy by a couple that are 71 and 77 with limited mobility. What I'm supposed to tell them what won't hurt their feelings. I though on sending them to a shelter and at least safe a death row pet, but then that might be a hazard for them.
Any ideas?

TIA

Re: How to say he is too old

Wow...........just wow. I know some people that are this age, with limited mobility, that I would send a dog to in a heartbeat. They are excellent trainers and great dog people. Judging people by their age is a foolish mistake:(

older but wiser
Wow...........just wow. I know some people that are this age, with limited mobility, that I would send a dog to in a heartbeat. They are excellent trainers and great dog people. Judging people by their age is a foolish mistake:(

I'm not really concerned about the capability of this older couple to train a puppy. I'm concerned about when the puppy is 80#+ and not so easy to keep in line. Also, chances are that they will not outlive this puppy and even if I put in the contract that this puppy is to be returned to me, there isn't any guaranties that it will actually happen.

Would you put a human baby with a couple this age? I don't think so, so why would I place a puppy with them?

I would suggest to them an older dog, not a puppy.

reason is in12 to 14 years the couple are most likely not going to able to care for a senior. Just say have you thought this through? They may say yes and have adult children who love Labs and will be there for the dog.

I would explain to them why a pup is not a good choice and give them contacts for Lab Rescue who will place an "age appropriate" dog with them. Good for you for recognizing they do not need a puppy.

You need to talk to these people. What can you tell from an email? You can outright ask them what provisions they would make for the dog if they became unable to care for it. If they say so-and-so would take the dog, get the name of that person and talk to them too. Find out everything you can about these people. Be polite but ask a ton of questions.

Some older people make inquiries, but when push comes to shove, they back off. They do deserve courtesy.

who are we to judge what is right for another person? it is our job as breeders to ensure contingency plans, but not to determine what another being is capable of or not.

If your pups are too energetic, maybe say so and refer to someone who might have more mellow pups. I've sold several to older people and they have done extremely well. It should be a case by case decision.

They told you--we are 71 and 77? Or you asked? I'm not sure you can even ask someone how old they are? Isn't that illegal? I know at least one well respected breer who is over 75 and has 14 dogs. 14--not one pet to make arrangements for.

I think you better watch out before you go telling anyone they are too old for a product you are selling.

I chuckled when I read this post because I am now retirement age myself. I have friends who are 80 and still riding large horses and running a barn full of horses. But I have other friends who are already effectively disabled in their 50s because of health problems. There is a huge range of ability in older people, more so than the younger set.

From my vantage point, the issues I would consider are the

(1) age, training, and temperament of the dog/puppy. Even a 6 month old puppy can be well-behaved and manageable. And even an older dog can be a handful, not suitable for even younger owners.

(2) the experience training of the couple. I know many people in our kennel club training in their 80s. I know someone in her 80s who still runs agility.

(3) the availability of help in exercising and training the dog. Some of us still travel a lot, and we need someone who can allow this. But even on a day to day basis, an older couple might need help exercising suitably a young dog--or even an older dog.

(4) the financial ability of the couple to deal with their own and the dog's health problems and daily expenses. Keeping a dog is not inexpensive, and fixed incomes might be tight.

(5) the willingness to consider alternatives to a puppy given their fond hopes for a youngster.

(6) a backup plan for the dog should the couple die before the dog or become unable to care for the dog. Actually everyone should have this. Young people die suddenly too.

Even more than ever, you need to explore with potential buyers what the purchase would mean to them. Nothing substitutes for a face to face conversation.

Right on, Dr Kate!

I have had this exact conversation multiple times ... the folks didn't mind me asking about their plans ... and in fact liked the fact that I cared enough about my puppies to ask the difficult questions. I find that the people have usually thought of these things already ... in two cases where there was no close family, I have agreed to be the backup person. they have in fact written me into their wills to make sure that the dogs come back to me ... and then I will take over the responsibility of placing the dogs. They are wonderful homes. The people are home, actively work on obedience with their dogs ... in some cases competing but in other cases just enjoying training and doing therapy work with their dogs. Couldn't ask for better homes.

Thank you all for your responses. I'll write them back and ask all the right questions.

I had an elderly man want a pup. By elderly he had to be 70 ++. I was apprehensive. He brought his son with him. I talked to them both. They came back several times to see the pups & I was comfortable in letting him have one. His son assured me he would take the pup if something happened to his dad. 10 years later, the old gent stops by to let me know he is doing well & so is his dog. They are constant companions & she keeps him active.

I love my retired and semi-retired pup buyers! They usually have the resources (money/time) to do a GREAT job w/ pups and often have far more common sense about "parenting". :)

Seniors are the best dog owners! They have no responsibilities but to themselves and those they love. It's our responsibility to give any puppy buyer suitable information on care and raising. I have sold four Labradors of various ages over the years to a lady in her mid-80's; three are still with her from ages 10 months to 8 years. They receive perfect care and they are keeping this lady active and happy. I'm 71 and have 5 Labradors and have no intention of not having a dog around until I take my last breath. Age has nothing to do with owning a dog.

I firmly believe that dogs are a great enhancement to the lives of retirees. That being said, a few years ago I had a older single gentlemen referred to me who lives out of state.

He is a very active person and I wasn't concerned that he couldn't handle the young dog now but I was a bit concerned about what would happen to the dog if he did have a health issue or didn't outlive his dog.

I simply mentioned the provision in my contract that says my dogs come back to me for re-homing under any circumstance and discussed with him that should there ever be an event that put him in a position he couldn't take care of the dog, I would have a difficult time getting there on short notice to get his buddy. I simply asked what his back up plan was should he ever be in a position that he couldn't care for the dog.

The gentleman was not offended at all and I think he understood my question. He has a group of friends who all run their dogs along the Hudson river in the mornings. Not only did his sister, but several of those friends all e-mailed me directly, their promise that they were all available as backup homes for the dog. Jim and Seamus have been together about 4 years now. Seamus is having a great life, he swims in a built in pool with a GR buddy, gets a daily run with a mix of friends and is adored by everyone around him.

The sister has sent me notes along the way to let me know how much everyone loves Seamus. She just retired and asked for a puppy from my next litter. She has first dibs, no qualms about it.

My suggestion to you is to ask the same question in a gentle way, using the re-homing provision in your contract as the lead in "What is your emergency plan for your puppy should you ever be in a position you can't care for him". Tell them you ask everyone the same question, which we probably should be doing.

Update:
I e-mailed back this gentleman with my standard answer and ask him to fill up my puppy application, which includes asking about what would happen to the dog if they would become unable to take care him.
He only answered to say that his daughter was coming to town from another state and he would like to come and see the dogs now that she could bring them. I re-sent the application which he keeps on ignoring.
He e-mailed back asking to please give the address so he can come with his daughter in a particular date.

Sorry, is not going to happen. First, if he can't drive, how is he going to transport the dog may he have an emergency? Also, why isn't he submitting the application? I need to know at least who they are before I give out my time and my address.

If it is not all clear, my puppy is not going with them.