Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Litter Box

I was thinking about my next breeding & using a litter box for puppies. I've personally have used papers forever & hate the mess! Plus pups love to shred it just so much fun. So I'm wondering about other breeders experience with using a litter box. Pros & cons! Cleaner or messier? What do you use for the litter?

Re: Litter Box

I have a 5 week old set of pups right now. I used the litter box for the first time. Started at 4 weeks (will start earlier next time). Within 12 hours of starting, the pups had the right idea. Now, at 5 weeks, I haven't seen ANY waste material anywhere besides the box. I used a rabbit tray. I put a few of the litter pellets on the bottom and covered that with a compressed paper litter. Would I do it again? YOU BETCHA'!!! I just change the tray as needed, but I'm not CONSTANTLY changing nasty papers!! This made raising pups soooo much easier!

Jamie K
I have a 5 week old set of pups right now. I used the litter box for the first time. Started at 4 weeks (will start earlier next time). Within 12 hours of starting, the pups had the right idea. Now, at 5 weeks, I haven't seen ANY waste material anywhere besides the box. I used a rabbit tray. I put a few of the litter pellets on the bottom and covered that with a compressed paper litter. Would I do it again? YOU BETCHA'!!! I just change the tray as needed, but I'm not CONSTANTLY changing nasty papers!! This made raising pups soooo much easier!

What is Compressed paper litter? I use pellets alone and still get a bit of mess from the pellets sticking to the feet.

I have used a litter box multiple times. I start as soon as I start on solid foods. There is still a little mess from the pellets as they degrade but it is somewhat contained. The most important thing is to get it big enough for the number of pups that you have. In my last litter they where in the house more often and longer then would of liked because of the weather so needed a bigger box but didn't have the room for it. This ment that it was a little more mess especially in the mornings. Found that if they seem to start going other places once they have the hang of it then the box is either too small or just needs to be cleaned more often. But over all love the litter box and wont do any other way till something better comes along.

so when you talk "pellets" are you referring to the recycled paper for cat cat litter? I have cat clients that use that I don't like it.

I'm talking horse stall pine pellets from Tractor Supply. Not sure what the others mean. I like the horse stall pine pellets (don't get hardwood, they don't smell fresh). However, the pine horse pellets do have a little residue which sticks to pups' feet. I have a cut off milk jug which I use to sprinkle clean pellets over the waste. Everything stays smelling nice. The used, soaked pellets are great for the garden.

I like the large rabbit tray as well with my favorite pellets - Boreal horse bedding pellets. Thanks to a friend who told me about them!

I found the compressed paper litter at Tractor Supply Co just down the aisle from the rabbit trays.

I prefer wood shavings and using a little "potty room" connected by a threshold to your puppy box. It acts as a letterbox of sorts, and the shavings keep the smell to a minimum and there is no danger of them ingesting some of the pellet type things people are using in puppy boxes of late

hardwood pellets fuel. Available at some, but not all, Home Depots. Clean, easy to use and very inexpensive.