Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Phenomenon of Young Dogs winning

I am curious what people's thoughts are of all the young dogs/bitches that are winning at shows. I've been showing for about 20 years (I know, not a really long time, but long enough) - seems like the average age for winning at a specialty is getting younger all the time. I keep seeing young dogs - puppies really - taking WD more often than 15-20 years ago. So my question is:

a) Are the best dogs winning young so they aren't in the classes as adults?
OR
b) Are the adult dogs overdone by the time they are adults, so aren't competitive any longer other than in Breed?

I am NOT saying there are no nice adults competing in classes, just seems the nicest overall classes at specialties are the 12-18 and younger classes - kind of a disturbing trend.

I will also say I prefer Europe's rules that basically require an adult win before a championship is given.

Re: Phenomenon of Young Dogs winning

Much is wrong in the Labrador world. Certainly no dog should be crowned a CH. before his second birthday. Things change as they become adults.

It is heartbreaking to see Labradors weighing over 100 lbs winning shows. Yes the young dogs at 80 lbs look better then the older dogs who have reached 100 lbs.

This is why Europe has much nicer looking Labradors today. Watching Crufts vs Westminster there is no comparison to the quality of Labradors.

One of the top Labradors in Europe is Loch Mor Romeo. He is winning at the age of 4 years old. Romeo is aging very fine. Why. He is not over done.

Judges pick the best dog in their opinion ON THAT DAY. I've seen 8 year old dogs win too - at huge shows - and not under American judges.

BTW - whoever is posting constantly about Romeo - if he's so good, bring him over to Potomac. Would love to see him in person and what he does there.

another opinion
Judges pick the best dog in their opinion ON THAT DAY. I've seen 8 year old dogs win too - at huge shows - and not under American judges.

BTW - whoever is posting constantly about Romeo - if he's so good, bring him over to Potomac. Would love to see him in person and what he does there.

poor Romeo would not have a shot at winning at Potomac. The type being put up in the States is no longer A Labrador, but some long haired over done belly dragging animal.

Romeo does very well in Europe as the judges are better schooled on what a Labrador should be.

Watch what a real Labrador should look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2dUCZhmcs

another opinion

This is my point exactly (I'm the OP) - is the best dog a puppy? Should we have 11-month old puppies finish, then you never see them again as they possibly get overdone? BTW - the Potomac BOB this year finished young but was mature (5 or 6 years old) for that win, so some dogs can/do stand the test of time. Would you say he's dragging his belly and has overly-long hair?

And yes - Romeo - please stop posting continuously about him - we all get how you feel!

Romeo lover - did you actually see the dog that won at Potomac last year? Did you see the bitch that won the year before? You may have recognized her - she was in England for a year and got her Championship there. So please don't make statements that are not factual.

Young dogs (age-wise) don't really look their age anymore. The ones that do look like puppies and mature slowly do not consistently win at shows until they are 3-4 years old. There are several 6-9 month olds that look more like 2 year olds, so while they are young, they have matured quickly and there is little difference between them and some of the dogs in Open, except their faces which can look young. Younger dogs seem to hold their toplines better and because they are young their movement seems to be forgiven more. Some of these dogs stop maturing and look great at 4 years old and some get far too overdone. While I can admire youngsters, I won't breed to them for this reason. I want to know what they really look like when they are in their prime and whether they are sound when they stop growing. I also want to see what the coat looks like at maturity - puppy coats are getting fluffier and more open, and I want to know whether this is just a phase or whether the coat really is non-functional.

I don't like to see puppies put up over deserving dogs that are in their prime, but if the adult entry is weak and there is a spectacular puppy, I have no issue with it. I sometimes think an age requirement for finishing would be good, but I would not want to see a mediocre dog put up just because they are over a certain age.

This is a waste of time. Sounds like one person talking back and forth to themselves. Who the heck and I don't really want to know is Romeo Hope your snow melts soon so you can get outside.

I think sometimes the young pups are eye-catching for whatever reason. Maybe it good portion of it is their enthusiasm...

I just a finished a boy who is four now. The first time in the ring at 6 months old to the day, he took WD, and his dam took WB. His litter brother took RWD as well. It took me another 3.5 years to finish him. He went through some gangly stages but matured beautifully. I feel if the dog/bitch puppy is the best that day, so be it. We ask for the judges opinion when we enter under them.

By the time they run the gauntlet of clearances and genetic test they may not be left in the ring at an older age. If they are not perfect they would not be worth showing. It seems to be more dramatic in males where many look at it why keep it and show it , no one would ever breed to it . and of course some of the best finish at a young age and are not show in Breed until older if then.

good question, and I agree with Europe