Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Baytril before breeding or after?

Please share your experiences with a Baytril protocol for increasing fertility in bitches. I have a bitch who had a recurring vaginal infection, finally got rid of it, so I thought, but on breeding her, she did not take. My vet saw a veterinary website that talked about giving Baytril AFTER breeding, for 10 days. I had always heard before breeding. Please share your experiences with Baytril only. Thanks for your help.

Re: Baytril before breeding or after?

I had a bitch owner whose bitch missed multiple times. Antibiotics, timing, should have resulted in puppies in previous 2 breedings. Nothing. I did fresh side by side A/I over a week (no timing this time) and again no puppies. The bitch, now 4 years old, still has not whelped a litter. Last breeding, the owner put her on thyroid meds (even though she tested normal) and kept her on the meds throughout pregnancy. A second breeding, side by side, no timing resulted in a good sized litter (11 puppies). Only thing different this time was the thyroid meds. Older bitch, full litter. Might be worth a try.

Proactive
Please share your experiences with a Baytril protocol for increasing fertility in bitches. I have a bitch who had a recurring vaginal infection, finally got rid of it, so I thought, but on breeding her, she did not take. My vet saw a veterinary website that talked about giving Baytril AFTER breeding, for 10 days. I had always heard before breeding. Please share your experiences with Baytril only. Thanks for your help.

I have had great results with Baytril after my girls kept missing (different studs, some chilled semen, some fresh) and all tests came back normal. Per my vet I gave it 1 month before my bitch came into season. You do not want to give this drug to a bitch after she is bred.

I thought Dr Hutch did recommend Baytril as a drug you can give before and after breeding (for approx 2 weeks after)?

Also, I would test thyroid but make sure the results are read by a repro vet. Once you put them on thyroid meds you have to keep them on thyroid meds forever, isn't that correct? It basically replaces their own.

No, you can take them off. I had a dog that the trainer wanted on thyroid because he thought it enhanced his performance in the field. He was normal or low-normal and had no other symptoms of thyroid deficiency. After training was over each season I took him off thyroid and then had him tested by Michigan State before putting him back on the medication. He never had any thyroid issues.

Dr. Hutchison had me give Baytril for ten days after. This was after two misses. Eight pups.

Yes
Dr. Hutchison had me give Baytril for ten days after. This was after two misses. Eight pups.
Ten days after what? Breeding or a miss? Just clarifying.

I would go with what Hutch says, spend the $50 for a phone consult. He's well worth it if someone is in doubt.

What Yes said. Hutch told me 10 days of Baytril, starting when the bitch was bred.

say no difference whether I used it or didn't BUT, it can't hurt