Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
slight underbite 4 months

How common is it for a pup to develop a slight underbite (4-5 months) and have it correct as pup continues to grow? Gorgeous baby who had perfect scissor bite up until now. I've had slight overbites develop as they grow and don't worry as they typically are fine. Not use to them going slightly undershot, although was an outcross with lines I have not used before. Fingers crossed as I really love this puppy!

Re: slight underbite 4 months

Bites shift about this age as they are getting ready to lose their puppy teeth. Their gums swell and often times will make the bite appear off. I would just watch as the adult teeth come in that the top are coming in in front of the bottom teeth. I've seen them go off a bit and come back, not to worry.

Thanks for the reply 'Don't Worry'. Adult incisors are in, and top incisors are just behind the bottoms ones (think one top incisor was still where it should be last I looked). However, puppy canines, molars and premolars, are coming out now. Adult canines not in yet.

I find overbites right themselves, under bites, not so much so sorry

Hoping
Thanks for the reply 'Don't Worry'. Adult incisors are in, and top incisors are just behind the bottoms ones (think one top incisor was still where it should be last I looked). However, puppy canines, molars and premolars, are coming out now. Adult canines not in yet.

Ok that's not good. When the mouth shifts like that and the adult incisors are already in, they tend to get locked behind the bottom ones at that point. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but not thinking it will correct at this point. Please let us know how it is at 6 month.