Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recent Mom

I have a first time dam whose litter is almost 4 weeks old. She's done a great job nursing them (6 pups) but looks so thin that I'm worried about her. I've tripled the amount of her normal daily food -- and she's still very hungry. Is it advisable -- and, if so, what can I add to her diet to try to restore her to her normal weight, appearance. Tonight I added boiled chicken to her kibble. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Re: Recent Mom

Has she been fully and thoroughly dewormed, including preventative for coccidian? Parasite load can really bottom them out and keep them from blooming again.

No -- I've never done that prior to breeding. Is that something that should be done now? How is that done? I have a de-wormer for the pups which I plan to do in about a week, after they are weaned onto solid food.

Here
Has she been fully and thoroughly dewormed, including preventative for coccidian? Parasite load can really bottom them out and keep them from blooming again.

What is coccidian? Do you mean coccidia?

If you have a good, gentle wormer like Nemex,generic name pyrantel pamoate, go ahead and deworm mom now and the puppies anytime now. Also, at older than 3 weeks, those puppies are old enough to start them on solid food and get them weaned. The weight should come back on mom with no problem unless there is something else going on. If I see lots of roundworms in the pups stool, I will worm for 2-3 days in a row then weekly for 2-3 weeks, then every 2 weeks. I will worm mom that often as well if I think she needs it but at least 2 or 3 times, 2 weeks apart. If you think tapes may be part of the problem, you can worm mom now, and droncit is approved any time at 4 weeks or older for pups.

Maybe try adding another 2-3 cups per day? If her normal rations are 2-3 cups per day, you need to add another cup per puppy to that. Cottage cheese and hamburger are great to add some fat. And I agree with the worming. Even the healthiest mom and litter will have worms.

If she's still having trouble keeping up, might be time to help her out by starting the puppies on some food?

Good luck, have fun!!

I would say also, just start feeding the pups. I start at 3 weeks with mush. With 5 or 6 pups would still start at 4 weeks. If they are big they take alot out of her. All the feed in the world will not help.

double check for parasites
if all clear (also check for giardia and coccidia) …then use digestive enzymes and some oils…that should help her weight, and help her hold coat!

Thanks to all who responded for my help request!
Both Dam & pups have been dosed with Nemex-2 -- and I started the pups on solid/mush/gruel last week. She still looks pretty thin but I'm feeding her twice the normal amount per day and adding the cottage cheese, hamburger and chicken! She loves it!