Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
By vs Bc

Why do breeders prefer By over Bc??

Re: By vs Bc

I don't think breeders prefer By's over Bc's. There are just more yellows out there than chocolates so it stands to reason that there would be more By's than Bc's. Someone with a yellow would be more likely to breed to a By to get yellow, and someone with a chocolate would be more likely to go to a Bc to get chocolate. That said, I would not hesitate to go to a Bc with a yellow who did not carry chocolate if I thought it was a great match.

All depends on your perspective. I am a chocolate breeder. My goal is to improve on the chocolate lab. I want BC not BY or BYC.

Me
All depends on your perspective. I am a chocolate breeder. My goal is to improve on the chocolate lab. I want BC not BY or BYC.

Screw that I just want to breed the best to the best regardless of color.

As for breeding a yellow to a Bc only if the yellow doesn't carry chocolate, why not? If you had a Yc and bred to a Bc you'd get black and chocolates, otherwise you'll get all blacks (not a bad thing).

I see some of the best chocolates of recent times coming from the non-traditional lines and many from the yellow lines.

I guess I just don't get hung up on color as to me a good lab doesn't come in a bad color and a solid understanding of genetics helps to understand this.

I don't really agree with whatever color is fine. And you ask most black and yellow breeders and they are like no chocolate for us. No bones about it. They don't want to mix in the choc. That is fine, I don't want much of the yellow either unless I really know the lines and pigment. Have done it. Yes, knew what I was doing and got blacks and chocs. The BYC dogs head you in a whole different direction. And since you have this "solid understanding of genetics", you know you can plan all you want and still get a surprise.

Breeder of choc
I don't really agree with whatever color is fine. And you ask most black and yellow breeders and they are like no chocolate for us. No bones about it. They don't want to mix in the choc. That is fine, I don't want much of the yellow either unless I really know the lines and pigment. Have done it. Yes, knew what I was doing and got blacks and chocs. The BYC dogs head you in a whole different direction. And since you have this "solid understanding of genetics", you know you can plan all you want and still get a surprise.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't breed for color. Yes, I know what I can get if I know what I am breeding to and therefore it doesn't surprise me one bit. I rather like have BYC dogs and bitches so I am not only looking at what is best for them, but also being able to produce those qualities in all three colors.

Breeders who want to breed for a certain type and stay within their preferred color is fine with me too. I just think it is self-limiting and many are quick to judges others if they choose to breed in other directions. These breeders are also quick to discount a great stud dog because they don't want to have that color in their lines. To each their own I suppose. I just breed the way that is right for me and having all three colors to choose from allows me to do this. Just call me Skittles, I like having all the colors in the rainbow!