Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how cold is too cold for labs to be outside?

And for that matter, how hot is too hot (if they have shade), for them to be outdoors?

Re: how cold is too cold for labs to be outside?

Yes, this is a great question.

I was told that temperatures that peak at 115 with a normal of 105 in the summer that shade is not enough. Dogs should have access to air conditioning available to them at these temperatures.

Keep in mind that the wind chill is a big factor. Available shelter is also a factor. I'm sure we all do it differently. My set up is that the dogs are in my garage with heating pads in large crates in the evening and at night. They go outside in large runs with heated water buckets and igloos filled with straw during the day from about 7:30-4:30. The are out for 1/2 hour or so again at 10 pm. If it's below 10 F here in the morning, they get a short potty and are back inside until it's above 10 F, provided the wind chill isn't a factor. 4 dogs together have 3 large igloos, but they all pile in one igloo for short naps and then are out playing, etc. They are super healthy with fantastic coats. It's rare for them to go in the igloos with the straw except to nap. This has worked well for us for years.

My bigger issue is enough shade in summer, I put up permanent $180 canopies each summer, but they don't last through the winter. I always have pools with water and ice chunks available when it's really hot. I add ice when it hits 88 F or above. Some stand in the cold water, others rarely jump in, but it's available. What I find is that they dig under the wood deck under their canopies and love to lie under the deck under the canopy in the heat. I'm thinking of planting evergreens in the 100 X 100 play area. When we build a kennel, it will be next to the woods for shade purposes.

Hope my rambling helps someone in some way:)

I worry more about the heat than the cold.

An important consideration for the cold is what they are used to. Also, do they have another dog to snuggle up with. If dogs are out every day, and have the right shelter, they can deal with pretty cold weather. I would be very careful with a house dog out for extended time in the cold.

Now, it is important to realize that even though they may be safe, they may not be happy. So, I do get concerned when there are multiple cold days (less than 10 all day with wind).

chosenfrozen
And for that matter, how hot is too hot (if they have shade), for them to be outdoors?

I agree that they cannot possibly be happy in the cold we've been having in the NE. It was -10 again here this morning. I think about kennel dogs and not only the cold during the day but the long cold dark nights. Pretty boring when it's dark at 5 or before and you are back in the kennel just huddled to try and keep warm for another 14 hours until daylight.

If by the time I reach the bottom of my 350 ft driveway, my gloved fingers are starting to feel numb, then it's too cold for the dogs to be outside for anything longer than a potty break. Other than that, once the sun is up and it's say 15 degrees F or more with no windchill, we're off for our daily walks.