Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppy whose toes point in

I have a pup whose toes point in…anyone ever seen this? Know what its called? How to treat it? Will they grow out of it? Do we need to splint them?

Re: puppy whose toes point in

It is called pigeon toed and it's conformation fault due to incorrect shoulders.

labsgalore
I have a pup whose toes point in…anyone ever seen this? Know what its called? How to treat it? Will they grow out of it? Do we need to splint them?

labsgalore

How old is the pup? Is it the front feet? Do all the toes turn inwards? I've seen this is dwarf dogs, it's known as hammer toes. They don't usually grow out of it if that's what it is. I saw a 4 month pup with this and it was apparent she was going to be a dwarf. At 6 months, it was confirmed. Knowing her bloodlines, she was tightly line bred on it.

pup is 8 weeks old, all the toes turn in, and the feet do not. I've seen pigeon toed, but not hammer toes, so maybe that is it. Three pups in the litter had it. So I guess I'll never do THAT breeding again. must be it was in both lines. :(

Don't get all scared at this point in growth. I have seen toes point inwards on the front feet a couple of times on puppies and they always end up correcting as the puppy gets exercise and stronger muscles and ligaments. Try having the food dish and water bucket elevated, so the pup has to "use" the muscles in the forelegs and feet. I think you will see improvement in time.

Yes! thank you, that is exactly what Lonnie Davis told me when I did a phone consult with him...I'm so relieved its nothing serious!!