Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Green discharge in a bitch due in 2 weeks

I have a bitch who is not due for another 2 weeks but has a lot of green discharge. I've never had this happen. Of course we are headed to the vet…but what would this mean? Is there a puppy dead? will she lose the whole litter? will they put her on antibiotics?

Any help with anyone with experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Green discharge in a bitch due in 2 weeks

I have not had this experience personally, but a friend's bulldog bitch did, she started sluffing green discharge about 8 days before her whelp date. Took her to the vet and he said most likely she had apuppy die in utero. They started antibiotics and c-sectioned the bitch as soon as they felt comfortable in doing so. That indeed was the problem. The other 5 or 6 puppies survived and did well. You are wise in taking her to the vet.
Good Luck, Please keep us posted.
Valerie

THANKS YOU, Valerie. We did an ultrasound and there was no pup in the pelvis. The discharge does not smell, and her temp is elevated slightly. We brought her home, and are going to see if she is in fact coming into labor earlier and we somehow miscounted our days of when she was due. Our vet is on call for a c-section should we need it and they put her on Amoxicillin since the cervex is open...

First puppy born alive and healthy and big...

But...she has no milk! :(

So I'm trying everything to get her milk to come in. Vet said I could not administer oxytocin until she was done whelping, so I'm giving each pup esbilac as born to keep their tummies full until her milk comes in.

I'll keep you posted...thanks for all of you that are so helpful on this forum and there for us when we need you. That's what its all about!!!

Make sure mom eats all the placentas. They have natural oxytocin that would make her produce milk. Also, give her lots of liquid, 50/50 milk/water, Chicken broth, whatever she would drink.

Good luck with the rest!

Give Fenugreek - a natural herb - I can't remember the exact dose, but it's quite a lot - give on a regular basis, every few hours if I remember. You keep giving it to her until her breath smells like maple syrup. It really works to bring in the milk. I wouldn't do that until she's done whelping, though.

Good luck!

you can also try metoclopramide tablets or inj. The 5 mg. tablet would be 1 2-3 times per day. I have also heard of being used just once a day and working. The only time I have used it personally was after a C-section and in less than 24 hours she had milk. I would be trying to find someone with newborns or some frozen colostrum in case her milk doesn't come in. Hopefully, her hormones will kick in. Good luck!

Call Hemopet and get some plasma for those pups! It's not just for Fading puppy syndrome, but for colostrum deprived pups. They are excellent to work with and are open today!

https://hemopet.imatrixbase.com/clients/14145/documents/Blood_Literature/Treating_Fading_Puppy_Syndrome_or_Orphan_Pups_with_Plasma.pdf?_ga=1.156322622.420142199.1382552240

Sue Puff

Good news update

She had a totally normal delivery. All pups are great size. Her milk came in overnight in the middle of the delivery...hallelujah!! There are nine so far. We are supplementing with esbilac too...but they are all strong little suckers and they are getting their colostrum right now!!

Thanks you for all your advice...you guys are great!

Re: Good news update

Why are you supplementing these newborns?

All they need right now is glucose, and colostrum, esbilac is too much for their little systems just yet. Plus supplementing them won't stimulate their mother to produce the milk they need, unless there is a problem, let Mother Nature take her course.

Congratulations on your new litter!

Re: Good news update

I agree that mother's milk is best. Don't mess with mother nature or lactation stimulations. If you are going to spend the time feeding the pups, sit there and monitor as you put them on the dam! Plus you can't imitate colostrum.

Glad that things turned out well, all in all.

I agree totally with those who said leave well enough alone, do not supplement unless you get starving crying pups, he colostrum came in leave it alone

Agree with the other posters. Takes a couple of days to really get milk. Make sure she drinks a lot!! More liquid equals more milk. Don't count on her to get up and go to her water bowl. Put yogurt or chicken broth or canned food (just a bit) in her water and put the bowl in front of her so she can drink it.

Glad to hear the pups weren't premature after all.

She's got PLENTY of milk!!! Pups are nursing naturally no problem. She prefers the chicken broth and goats milk (the esbilac version) to water now, so I'm getting fluids in her any form she'll take them to be sure she's getting enough.

and her babies. Prayers they continue to nurse and thrive.