Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Romeo does it again ....

Now many have criticized my love of Romeo... Perhaps I need to move to Europe. LOL

Romeo is the Labrador Retriever winner again at Crufts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY9SiMAKuUo

Eat your hearts out, this dog is shown in working condition, his owner handler is far and away a master handler as he moves so fast, and Romeo just moves so effortlessly along side.

Remember you, the handler, must fly with your dogs. it's a show, entertain everyone. Show us you have a Sporting breed who loves to move.

Lumberers stay home and get in shape.....

Re: Romeo does it again ....

After seeing the Romeo posts a few weeks ago, I looked him up. He's a nice dog and shows very well. He has one of those expressions that make me want to smile back at him.

Romeo Lover
Now many have criticized my love of Romeo... Perhaps I need to move to Europe. LOL

Eat your hearts out, this dog is shown in working condition, his owner handler is far and away a master handler as he moves so fast, and Romeo just moves so effortlessly along side.

Remember you, the handler, must fly with your dogs. it's a show, entertain everyone. Show us you have a Sporting breed who loves to move.

Why would we need to "eat our hearts out" ????? He is a very nice dog, however i'm not competing against him as I don't keep males

Believe it or not, I heard the same rumblings on the internet as the Westminster winner, that he is fat and out of shape. I guess some people want to see Labs that look like Greyhounds.

You have to remember that style, showmanship matter.

Romeo's owner handler has a special style himself that brings out the best in his beautiful boy.

How a dog is presented means so much if the crowds viewing applause and go ahhhhhh. Or laugh at his antics. It influences the judge's choice.

The "eat your Heart out" simply means to those who keep saying you must go very slow at trot are all wet. You must present a Sporting Dog moving as fast as you can. Those who have taught you the opposite are really not informed as to what a Labrador should be. More then likely they have lumbering out of shape Labradors.

As far as being Fat, any true Labrador lover knows Romeo is in tip top shape. He has very nice well sprung ribs and a bottom line compared to top Labradors for the past century. And that facial expression does melt you.

I don't think any Labrador breeder would not want Romeo. Well maybe those breeding field trial dogs may think Romeo is too heavy.

If I were judging an event Romeo is in while in his prime in my eyes he is the Top Labrador today. He promotes all the wonderful things that Labradors can bring to a family.

Really, Romeo isn't't the only dog out there with quality. Does he hunt?

If we are meant to move our labradors so fast around the ring, then why do the judges always say "go nice and slow"?

Another thing I am tired of always hearing is, when breeders or owners whichever the case may be, can't win in the conformation ring with their stock, they always play the "can they hunt" card. IMO they are pure bred labradors and have the instinct and if sent out with a trainer for months they all can surely hunt. Now can your field dog win a AKC championship? hmmmmm maybe not... There is always talk about how many AKC champion labs have hunt titles, well... how many of the field labs have AKC championships? Ok throw your stones now........ don't care what you say. Beauty and function.... Yes Romeo is outstanding.

Romeo didn't win at Westminster. The Westminster BOB and BOS do appear to be heavier than Romeo, but that's the difference I typically see between American and European Labradors.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any Labrador breeders who want to see Labs that look like Greyhounds. We just want to see them look like Labs ~ not Greyhounds, but not overweight/overdone either.

Breeder
Believe it or not, I heard the same rumblings on the internet as the Westminster winner, that he is fat and out of shape. I guess some people want to see Labs that look like Greyhounds.

It wasn't necessary to be snarky with your comment. You could have just as easily paid Romeo a nice compliment by posting about his success at Crufts, and not detracting from the moment with your negativity. Brush the chip off your shoulder and enjoy a lovely dog who is getting some time in the spotlight. There are many others out there and I look forward to their time in the spotlight too.

Congrats to Romeo and his team. Well done.

Romeo Lover

Dime a dozen? What a comment about the best Labrador in Europe.

While he may be just like your Labrador, the relationship Romeo and his owner handler presents gets him the win. They are both enjoying themselves.

It's a show folks. Entertainment !!! It is not life or death.

Run with your Labrador, if he is able to keep up with you while at trot you are showing the judge the dogs reach and ability to easily move with no effort !!

You are not fooling anyone by moving slow. Just adding to the lumbering look. It is unpleasant to watch.

Labradors don't need to be "sent out with a trainer for months" to be able to hunt. A Working Certificate and even a Junior Hunter can be achieved with very basic training by the owner. Many clubs offer field training on a regular basis where the owner can attend and learn how to train their Labrador to meet the requirements for a WC or JH. In my experience, the Master Level Hunt Test is not a realistic hunting situation, and something like that might require months of training, but that level is unnecessary to prove a conformation winner can hunt. (That being said, kudos to the CH MH's out there! You have gone above and beyond.) I am seeing more and more conformation show winners out earning their WCs and JHs. Good for you all!!

P.S. I agree with you on the point that we don't see many (if any) "field-bred" dogs out there winning in the show ring. A well-bred Labrador should be able to do both.

mover
Another thing I am tired of always hearing is, when breeders or owners whichever the case may be, can't win in the conformation ring with their stock, they always play the "can they hunt" card. IMO they are pure bred labradors and have the instinct and if sent out with a trainer for months they all can surely hunt. Now can your field dog win a AKC championship? hmmmmm maybe not... There is always talk about how many AKC champion labs have hunt titles, well... how many of the field labs have AKC championships? Ok throw your stones now........ don't care what you say. Beauty and function.... Yes Romeo is outstanding.

Hunting instinct can be bred out. Any dog breeder understands traits can be built upon and taken away from.

Can Romeo hunt? If I had him as a pup and had the slightest of interest in birds I could take him hunting based on my working with him. But it has to start early and be added onto as he grows.

Judging the way Romeo moves I can envision him jumping over stone walls chasing pheasants. He's powerful, balanced, and has a need to please his owner. Training him to hunt no problem from watching him in the ring.

I can also envision him pulling a fish sled for the fisherman in Newfoundland hundreds of years ago. Swimming in ice cold water off the Atlantic coastline. Using that perfect otter tail for a rudder.

Can Romeo hunt? If I had him as a pup and had the slightest of interest in birds I could take him hunting based on my working with him. But it has to start early and be added onto as he grows.

[/quote

Ch. Aquarius Centercourt Delight JH got his JH at 10 years old, prior to that he had never been exposed to birds or any type of field training. If the instinct is there it is there and with training can be brought out.

I have to disagree with you that Labradors should be moved at full speed. They should be moved fast enough to see their reach and drive but not like it is a race track. I see handlers moving them way too fast sometimes. The dog should be moved at the speed that is right for them individually. Too slow you cannot see thier reach and drive, too fast and they just look like a race horse.
Romeo is a lovely dog, so nicely balanced and moves so well. What I like the best about how he is presented is that it is on a loose lead. Wish more would do that.

I don't know, I have a boy who wants to move out. I have to run after him. He loves to get out to the end of lead and sometimes I feel that I don't even need to be in the ring with him. I run fast just to keep up with him!

Breeder

I really wish people would stop bringing up the "greyhound" comparison. You are comparing apples and oranges here. Field trial bred vs working correct Labradors. In my opinion they are not the same dog at all.
What we are talking about is "correct" Labradors, bred with some shred of integrity. That can still hunt or at least give off the impression that they could hunt. Sometimes I feel breeders throw that greyhound thing out so that they can justify their fat, out of shape Labradors.
While this Crufts winning dog is very much a good sized boy, he does have muscle tone, defined well if you look closely. Is he my favorite? No. But he is a good example and nothing like the popular dogs you see here.
Thank goodness I still see some breeders out there breeding the dogs I am happy to own. This is a sporting breed. Let's not forget that.

I watched the video and I don't see that dog as moving fast or running, I see very fluid, effortless movement. Something you don't see too often. That dog looks like he could go all day, opening and closing his stride as he needs to. I think when you watch a good moving dog, you don't notice the handler. Isn't that the idea? The dog should draw your eye to him/her when judging or watching movement.

This is a sporting breed and while I don't hunt my dogs, mostly because of time and location constraints, I do appreciate a well conditioned dog with substance, good bone, good feet and proper coat. He's a lovely dog and it's a pleasure to watch him go around.

JMO

Judge's perspective
I have to disagree with you that Labradors should be moved at full speed. They should be moved fast enough to see their reach and drive but not like it is a race track. I see handlers moving them way too fast sometimes. The dog should be moved at the speed that is right for them individually. Too slow you cannot see thier reach and drive, too fast and they just look like a race horse.
Romeo is a lovely dog, so nicely balanced and moves so well. What I like the best about how he is presented is that it is on a loose lead. Wish more would do that.

Amen.

Breeder

[/quote

Ch. Aquarius Centercourt Delight JH got his JH at 10 years old, prior to that he had never been exposed to birds or any type of field training. If the instinct is there it is there and with training can be brought out.

A fine example of a well bred Labrador. Buzz is one of my all time favorite Labradors.

Just a note. Romeo's dad was breed in the Mid West by me. We try and keep the "bird" in all our dogs. His dad has many titles in conformation and hunting and so does Romeo.

Romeo's grandma
Just a note. Romeo's dad was breed in the Mid West by me. We try and keep the "bird" in all our dogs. His dad has many titles in conformation and hunting and so does Romeo.

Romeo is an amazing Labrador. I see him, I see the standard. His owner certainly loves him. He understands he has a once in a lifetime dog.

I see the Birdyness in Romeo. As well as the great eyesight as he can turn focus quick in the ring.

I've love it when breeders understand the breed and realize Labradors are Gun Dogs.

Labs are the best !! And Romeo is the Best.

Its too bad your not a Labrador, so you and Romeo could live happily ever after... For all that's holy..... Enough about Romeo........................

Romeo Lover
Dime a dozen? What a comment about the best Labrador in Europe.

While he may be just like your Labrador, the relationship Romeo and his owner handler presents gets him the win. They are both enjoying themselves.

It's a show folks. Entertainment !!! It is not life or death.

Run with your Labrador, if he is able to keep up with you while at trot you are showing the judge the dogs reach and ability to easily move with no effort !!

You are not fooling anyone by moving slow. Just adding to the lumbering look. It is unpleasant to watch.

I could care less about this Romeo being frank. You've talked him up and I barely know who he is and I really don't care. As I live in the USA, I have no plans of breeding to the "Best dog in Europe" according to you because he isn't the type I like.

He is a dime a dozen as someone else said, sorry to say too from what I've seen from afar. He looks like a generic, pet lab to me with that incorrect front we see too often everywhere.

You can go follow him around Europe or pay for frozen semen to breed to him but you don't have to shove him down anyone else's throats. It's becoming old and I'm not on this board very often.

Boom..... Check please..............!!!!

Wonder where the venom comes from?

A Labrador like Romeo is one in a million.

Can't wait to see all the over weight 120 Labradors at Potomac. Going so slow because their chests are dragging the ground.. boy that look is special. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

I am in love with Romeo because he is a perfect example of all aspects of the Labrador Breed.

So he has a bad front assembly... you have to be kidding... He is an International Champion.

http://www.wds2015.com/blog/en/i-campioni-del-world-dog-show-2013-loch-mor-romeo/

He is better then any Labrador in the States today. Now that is just my opinion. Forget about all the judges that put him up over the competition he faces.

On any day Romeo is top dog in the ring. His owner is a very skilled handler who you should watch and learn from.

Romeo Lover
Wonder where the venom comes from?

A Labrador like Romeo is one in a million.

Can't wait to see all the over weight 120 Labradors at Potomac. Going so slow because their chests are dragging the ground.. boy that look is special. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

I don't agree that dog is one in a million.

Don't assume all prefer over-weight Labs either.

My Labs are not and never have been anywhere near 120 lbs. I've never had 1 that is even 100 lbs. I prefer my girls at 70 to 80 lbs. maximum and boys at 89 to 97 lbs. in fit, muscular condition with nice double coat but not fluffy or over-coated.

No Lab is perfect, including your Romeo.

I don't like bald dogs and I don't like incorrect fronts or lack of balance. Type is extremely important as well. So your Romeo doesn't fit my likes. I'm allowed just the way you are to have likes or dis-likes.

See you at The Potomac. How many days to go now?

See that is the issue. All Labradors should look exactly like Romeo.

I see no flaws in him.. He could not move the way he does if he had an incorrect front.

My goodness. Tell me you are not a judge.

Romeo Lover
I am in love with Romeo because he is a perfect example of all aspects of the Labrador Breed.

So he has a bad front assembly... you have to be kidding... He is an International Champion.

http://www.wds2015.com/blog/en/i-campioni-del-world-dog-show-2013-loch-mor-romeo/

He is better then any Labrador in the States today. Now that is just my opinion. Forget about all the judges that put him up over the competition he faces.

On any day Romeo is top dog in the ring. His owner is a very skilled handler who you should watch and learn from.

"
So he has a bad front assembly... you have to be kidding... He is an International Champion. " "His owner is a very skilled handler who you should watch and learn from."

Boy o'boy........... you've missed the boat. It sounds like you love the owner-handler, not the dog. Look at the correct end of the lead, the dog not the handler.

Honestly
Romeo Lover

"
So he has a bad front assembly... you have to be kidding... He is an International Champion. " "His owner is a very skilled handler who you should watch and learn from."

Boy o'boy........... you've missed the boat. It sounds like you love the owner-handler, not the dog. Look at the correct end of the lead, the dog not the handler.

Yes.. I love the strong Italians with beautiful smiles. LMAO

Honestly
Romeo Lover

"

My My . No wonder the Labradors in the States look like a cross between a Rotti and a Saint Bernard.

Too bad
Its too bad your not a Labrador, so you and Romeo could live happily ever after... For all that's holy..... Enough about Romeo........................

You're right. I almost PIP!

Pete (romeolover, frommlover and numerous other names on here and other boards) is an older gentleman from New Hampshire who owns ONE PET labrador. He's gone through phases of loving his dog (who is nicely show bred but overdone), to belittling his dog and going on and on about a field bred dog (Grady) believing he was perfect, to now worshiping a European dog. Pete has never stepped foot on a show grounds, let alone IN a ring, nor has he ever bred a litter.

Don't play with him ;)

dont play with him
Pete (romeolover, frommlover and numerous other names on here and other boards) is an older gentleman from New Hampshire who owns ONE PET labrador. He's gone through phases of loving his dog (who is nicely show bred but overdone), to belittling his dog and going on and on about a field bred dog (Grady) believing he was perfect, to now worshiping a European dog. Pete has never stepped foot on a show grounds, let alone IN a ring, nor has he ever bred a litter.

Don't play with him ;)
I finally understand. Thank you.

that loser pete uplander couldn't say enough about his "Arnold" three ways Satch. I doubt he likes Romeo, a classic Labrador Retriever.

He must be selling Farmina Dog Food now as I see Satch all over Facebook promoting it.. Satch looks like a scroungy mutt.

he's been eating too many kibbles no doubt. If he had fed Pro Plan he would not have ended up with a monster dog.

You can knock Pete/Uplander all you want.

But please don't knock Satch (his dog). He can't help what he looks like.

Is he an overdone Lab, yes.... but he is a sweet boy who deserves all the love he gets.

I know Pete is overkill and goes off on tangents again and again....etc.....

But don't knock the dog. He is a "pet" Labrador with a huge loveable face. :-)

Now, now

Is he an overdone Lab, yes.... but he is a sweet boy who deserves all the love he gets.

Don't knock Pete either! What did he do to you to deserve bad treatment?

mover
If we are meant to move our labradors so fast around the ring, then why do the judges always say "go nice and slow"?

....because most judges think that what has been winning for the past decade are what labs are supposed to look like.

That said, the lab that covers a lot of ground isn't necessarily the best lab either. But I can't help feeling sad when I see most handlers using half of a small ring. I can't help feeling sad that if the temperature is higher than 80 degrees, the dogs can't do two laps around half of a small ring without being in danger.

Think about the knowledge level that is out there. An earlier poster said that s/he has an 85 lb male who runs every day and therefore he is fit. Can you tell whether a dog is overweight or not with that information? I would think people would realize that unless you put your hands on the dog, you really don't know for sure....unless of course the dog is completely obese like many conformation dogs and you can see it a mile away...

Honestly

My Labs are not and never have been anywhere near 120 lbs. I've never had 1 that is even 100 lbs. I prefer my girls at 70 to 80 lbs. maximum and boys at 89 to 97 lbs. in fit, muscular condition with nice double coat but not fluffy or over-coated.

So, your dogs are only approximately 10 - 15 lbs overweight as compared to the obese dogs who are 20 - 30 lbs overweight.

just me
Now, now

Don't knock Pete either! What did he do to you to deserve bad treatment?

I am not knocking Pete (others are) Just saying its bad enough to knock humans on this board. Just don't knock the poor dog who is a well loved pet.