Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LQ

I'm debating whether to order a year's subscription to LQ. I got it for years and years before Hoflin sold it but the first couple of issues after the switch had very few ads and articles, so I let it drop. Any opinions on returning?

Re: LQ

I'll be renewing my subscription. It is still the best resource we have for hard copy articles, photos, pedigrees, Specialty results, etc.

Change is difficult for some, but Jean has done an admirable job of trying to get the word out and the information back to include in the magazine. I notice many of the larger kennels don't advertise any longer, but then I don't see them advertising anywhere else either. Perhaps they are big enough and well known enough that they feel they don't need to advertise. When they go away, and sadly, someday they and their beautiful dogs will go away, we won't have anything to refer back to. I love combing through the old LQs and finding pictures of the dogs in the pedigress of the dogs I love, and own.

I also have enjoyed the interviews over the years. Learning how breeders got started, their peaks and valleys, sharing their knowledge and experience is invaluable to me.

Some will say we have their websites for reference. Unfortunately, when the kennels go away, so will the websites.

Not having historical reference is sad for the future. I do hope some of our important breeders will consider advertising again. People, like me, who learn from you and look up to you with respect and admiration, miss your print presence.

I just subscribed for the first time ever in my 30+ years in Labradors. I always had access to the LQ, but when that access was cut off, I missed the magazine. I must say the Winter edition is just stunning! Beautiful Labradors cover to cover. The articles are quite interesting and informative.

I am very happy and next year will be promptly renewing my subscription!

Kudos to Jean, who works her butt off to bring us a quality publication!

I don't know about the rest of you but I was very disappointed to see that the cover was more of an advertisement than anything else.

I subscribe and enjoy it, but in specific themed issues like the performance issue, I would like to see more dedication to profiling outstanding performance dogs and their breeders. There are several breeders and dogs that have achieved the highest levels in performance and it would be nice to highlight those breeders/dogs. Some breeders have produced a few generations of CH/MH, some have produced strong lines of Search and Rescue, Obedience, Tracking, etc. dogs. I would like to see these people and their dogs in the spotlight for an issue like this. I would like to learn about their training methods, what they look for when breeding, challenges, etc. I can appreciate that there are many nice dogs out there, but a performance issue should spotlight dogs that have gone beyond the basic and have breeders who have dedicated themselves to higher than average standards.

There are always going to be ads in the magazine and I enjoy those as well, just would like to see as much dedication to brains as beauty.

That made me laugh. All the photos are advertisements. Front cover being the premium ad space. HAHAHA :)

Fancier
I don't know about the rest of you but I was very disappointed to see that the cover was more of an advertisement than anything else.

...and give her a few performance breeders' names that you would like to see interviewed. She is not primarily involved in the Labrador world. She is a magazine editor who took over the LQ. If you would like to see something in the magazine, contact her and suggest it.

Themes
I subscribe and enjoy it, but in specific themed issues like the performance issue, I would like to see more dedication to profiling outstanding performance dogs and their breeders. There are several breeders and dogs that have achieved the highest levels in performance and it would be nice to highlight those breeders/dogs. Some breeders have produced a few generations of CH/MH, some have produced strong lines of Search and Rescue, Obedience, Tracking, etc. dogs. I would like to see these people and their dogs in the spotlight for an issue like this. I would like to learn about their training methods, what they look for when breeding, challenges, etc. I can appreciate that there are many nice dogs out there, but a performance issue should spotlight dogs that have gone beyond the basic and have breeders who have dedicated themselves to higher than average standards.

There are always going to be ads in the magazine and I enjoy those as well, just would like to see as much dedication to brains as beauty.