Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about shipping re: new APHIS /USDA regulation

Hi,

I just wanted to make sure I am understanding correctly. I am starting to do my research, which I take very seriously, regarding the purchase of a new show prospect. As I currently don't breed, I will need to look to the outside. I am in a less densely populated region. While there are Lab breeders/exhibitors around me, I prefer a different style & pedigree. Hence, I need to look far & away. Am I understanding correctly that I will now have to drive to pick up a new puppy? No matter what, a puppy can no longer be shipped to me?

A breeder who ships even one puppy is leaving herself open to being inspected by USDA and having to meet all the requirements for a commercial kennel unless she has four or fewer breed able females of all species. Cats, rabbits, and gerbils are included, as well as any female puppies you are growing out. I think most people will do what I'm doing and stop shipping puppies. In my recent litter I had two people from 2000 miles away, both repeat customers and both been waiting for 6 months or more. One flew to Chicago for a weekend reunion with relatives and met me at the airport to pick her puppy from the two I had selected as appropriate for her. She put her choice in a Sherpa bag and flew back home. The other buyer had a friend who was visiting relatives and could take his puppy home for him. If you can't find what you are looking for locally, there are creative ways toget the puppy to you. Not necessarily cheap, but maybe opportunities for a mini vacation. There are dog transportation services,too. A friend recently used one to get her puppy from Texas to Georgia.

All you are saying is good, except that she can have the puppy "transported". Any kind of transportation will count the same. What matter is that you meet with the breeder in person at the moment to take possession of the puppy.
Of course, who controls the land transportation services? no one....
The fastest way is to fly in pick up the puppy and comeback home with it.
remember that if you don't have more than 4 females, the rule doesn't apply to you, but you are closing the door to ever own more than 4 females.

I would also think that you would want to see the puppy in person to make sure it's what you are looking for in a show prospect. Best bet is to fly to meet the breeder and fly back with your puppy in the cabin with you. Less stressful for the puppy too!

If this is a worthwhile puppy, I'd make the flight, pick up the pup, and fly home.

I thought that "if" the dog was for breeding or hunting and on full registration it could be shipped? Has this changed?

A friend just sold all of her puppies on full as hunting companions because of the new law and shipped several.

I just imported a dog for breeding if he can pass his heart, hips and elbows and is good enough. They asked at the USDA if he was for breeding and they put my name in the computer. I was told that If I purchase anymore dogs from Europe I will have to have a brokers license. There were other breeders picking up dogs but they said they were for pets so I gave the wrong honest answer and am now on some list.

What I see happening is an overpopulation and spike in puppies in the pounds from the new law. Can anyone else see this?

I am still selling on limited and had two litters this year. I have two breeding females a year old girl that hasn't had her hips elbows and heart done and a four month old puppy. For the one I shipped, I had a representative come to check the puppy at the Vets and write what he was there for. The man had to drive three hours for his relative.

This new law is just plain stupid. I can't believe we pay these people to sit up there and make up these new laws because it makes it look like they are doing something with our tax money.