Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any ideas why my new mom still wants to push?

Pups were born starting March 12th at 6:15pm and last one at 5:30am (or so I thought), ended up with one more pup that was in there born at the vets DOA at 4:30pm after xray showed one pup still in there and the PIT shot given. Fast forward to today 24 hours later every time I let her out to potty she stays there squeezing, dunno if shes trying to push or trying to poop, she has had several poops since the last pup and doesn't try to push when in the box with her babies.... any ideas why she is doing this?

Re: Any ideas why my new mom still wants to push?

well she is now at the vets, went downhill really fast and collasped, she has a high temp 107.1 so they are keeping her overnight, vet just called and said it's going down once every hour, please pray for her to get well, they think it's a infection

Said a prayer for your girl. I hope she starts feeling better today. Very scary.

Hoping the vet sorts it out for you and her.

Any updates on your girl? Praying she'll be ok.

Laura
Any updates on your girl? Praying she'll be ok.

I truely appreciate your prayers, she ended up spending the night at the vet for IV treatment and to try to get the temp down, it was down to 102.5 and they called and said I could pick her up, they put her on clavamox and said she's got a uterine infection most likely due to the dead pup that stayed in there so long so the uterus was open and allowed bacteria to get in there, praying the temp stays down, she did finally eat a half a can of puppy food but please keep the prayers going.... thank you all very much

Glad to hear they got her temp down!

Me too, unfortunately being home it went back up to as high as 104.2, doing all I can to bring it down and last temp it was 103.4, please keep the prayers coming that she'll be ok

I went through a different situation but this medication information might be helpful. Lutalyse

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dairy/lutalyse_dinoprost-tromethamine_sterile-solution.aspx

My girl Zazou had her litter of eight by Jill's Wicoy's Rocco. She had a radiograph after and clean out shot of oxytocin. On day five she began bleeding very heavily, frank red blood dripping all over the place when she walked and in the whelping box lying down.

I had her to three local vets, one an ER vet and no one had an answer except the bleeding will end eventually. I didn't take that answer well.

After a drop of prodding by friends I called Hutch, so well worth his mere $50 consultation fee. He recommended small injections of Lutalyse.

I called 20 vets in my area, not ONE knew what Lutalyse was or how to use it and didn't appear interested in calling Dr. Hutch.

I called and went to a vet at a distance through three different friends who knew exactly what Lutalyse was. I brought Zazou there immediately, the vet after doing a full work up, saw her white count had almost doubled in kess than 36 hours since the ER vet. So there was infection AND heavy frank bleeding from more than likely retained placenta. He gave her small Lutalyse injections twice a day for potential retained placenta. She pushed out a tiny piece on the way home after the first shot and we went back there twice daily, at a distance for the same shot for almost 6 full days. He cautioned she made need "surgery" meaning a spay but a good chance Lutalyse would help, same as Hutch.

Long story short in 5 1/2 days of Lutalyse and only cephalexin I had a different girl, NO bleeding NO infection, white count normalized, bleeding halted and all was well although I feel the entire medical experience took it's toll on her. I was VERY fortunate she lived through all of it. A true miracle.

I know Dr. Hutch and the fourth vet I used saved Zazou's life and uterus. I was warned if she didn't begin to get better she would need all repro organs removed.

Has the vet done a white count and full blood work? Have they mentioned surgery to save her? How about Lutalyse to get whatever might be hanging out in there like placenta to come out? You might want to bring it up. There is a veterinary forum that Dr. Hutch had put his Lutalyse formula on under a year prior, the vet that I finally used mentioned. He followed it like a hawk and also tried to reach Hutch.

I planned on writing this in better form, been busy with a husband with a full knee replacement and many more serious family issues. I hope this story and information helps you and anyone else that has a similar problem.

I wish your girl the very best. I didn't read when she whelped the last puppy or the testing the vets did? Best wishes

PS She was not hospitalized, we drove her back and forth to this vet twice daily for the injections.

Wow, Michelle. glad your girl is ok, and that Hutch had such a successful, interesting recommendation! thanks for sharing……one thing that i love about whelp wise is they can "see" retained placentas, and give you proper meds to handle it…….

Oy Vey-Michelle
I went through a different situation but this medication information might be helpful. Lutalyse

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dairy/lutalyse_dinoprost-tromethamine_sterile-solution.aspx

My girl Zazou had her litter of eight by Jill's Wicoy's Rocco. She had a radiograph after and clean out shot of oxytocin. On day five she began bleeding very heavily, frank red blood dripping all over the place when she walked and in the whelping box lying down.

I had her to three local vets, one an ER vet and no one had an answer except the bleeding will end eventually. I didn't take that answer well.

After a drop of prodding by friends I called Hutch, so well worth his mere $50 consultation fee. He recommended small injections of Lutalyse.

I called 20 vets in my area, not ONE knew what Lutalyse was or how to use it and didn't appear interested in calling Dr. Hutch.

I called and went to a vet at a distance through three different friends who knew exactly what Lutalyse was. I brought Zazou there immediately, the vet after doing a full work up, saw her white count had almost doubled in kess than 36 hours since the ER vet. So there was infection AND heavy frank bleeding from more than likely retained placenta. He gave her small Lutalyse injections twice a day for potential retained placenta. She pushed out a tiny piece on the way home after the first shot and we went back there twice daily, at a distance for the same shot for almost 6 full days. He cautioned she made need "surgery" meaning a spay but a good chance Lutalyse would help, same as Hutch.

Long story short in 5 1/2 days of Lutalyse and only cephalexin I had a different girl, NO bleeding NO infection, white count normalized, bleeding halted and all was well although I feel the entire medical experience took it's toll on her. I was VERY fortunate she lived through all of it. A true miracle.

I know Dr. Hutch and the fourth vet I used saved Zazou's life and uterus. I was warned if she didn't begin to get better she would need all repro organs removed.

Has the vet done a white count and full blood work? Have they mentioned surgery to save her? How about Lutalyse to get whatever might be hanging out in there like placenta to come out? You might want to bring it up. There is a veterinary forum that Dr. Hutch had put his Lutalyse formula on under a year prior, the vet that I finally used mentioned. He followed it like a hawk and also tried to reach Hutch.

I planned on writing this in better form, been busy with a husband with a full knee replacement and many more serious family issues. I hope this story and information helps you and anyone else that has a similar problem.

I wish your girl the very best. I didn't read when she whelped the last puppy or the testing the vets did? Best wishes

PS She was not hospitalized, we drove her back and forth to this vet twice daily for the injections.

There is a veterinary forum that Dr. Hutch had put his Lutalyse formula on under a year prior, the vet that I finally used mentioned. He followed it like a hawk and also tried to reach Hutch.

Any idea where this forum is so I can ask my vet if he will look there? This girl took a turn for the worst and ended up back in the hospital yesterday and they finally did blood work which is showing lots of things going on, white cell count is normal, however she is anemic (pac cell count at 27 which 39 is normal), she's janice so her liver enzymes are bad (forgot what the numbers are)she's developed mastitis one one of her inverted teats, they put her on a secondary antibiotic and as of this morning has her temp down to 102 and she is still on IV's, not interested in eating but if you ask me it's because she's not home with her babies which she adores, they don't know if it's looking like her liver is failing and that is causing the problems or if the infection is causing the liver to look that way, he said they are scratching their heads over this one cause while some things should be off they aren't and other things are off so they don't know what is causing all this. The one and only board certified radiologist is scheduled to do a ultrasound on her tomorrow as that is the soonest they could get him in :{, they are trying to keep her stable for now and I guess we just have to wait and see what that ultrasound shows cause they said that will eliminate a lot of the possiblities and may give them the answer they need. Meanwhile I am taking care of her babies till she can come home be it spayed or not I just want her well, please pray for her

Talked to my vet a short while ago Ovey and asked about that med that Dr. Hutch recommended if he thought it would help, he does know what it is and he said in her situation right now they are not sure if she may have a uterine tear so it not be something that they would consider giving her, we just need to wait for the ultrasound tomorrow, I do thank you for your suggestion though :}

maybe have your vet do a consult with Hutch? Here's hoping for the best for your girl……..prayers she is OK soon…..

If they indeed even suspect Ideopathic Liver Failure please have them treat that aggressively with Milk THistle and Sam-E, or Denamarin ,which is Sam-E and Silybin the active part of Milk Thistle. This will help her liver recover if started early enough.
I lost my girl to liver failure after whelping a litter and only wish that I had caught it sooner.By the time I did she really was too far gone.

Tiffany
If they indeed even suspect Ideopathic Liver Failure please have them treat that aggressively with Milk THistle and Sam-E, or Denamarin ,which is Sam-E and Silybin the active part of Milk Thistle. This will help her liver recover if started early enough.
I lost my girl to liver failure after whelping a litter and only wish that I had caught it sooner.By the time I did she really was too far gone.
Yes they are treating her liver problem very aggressively, that was his main concern

I am glad to hear they are treating her aggressively . If you want to you can contact me privately , the number is on the website. I'll be praying for your girl.

Thank you so much Tiffany, all support is very much appreciate and prayers for her, update: got the radiologist in today, she has ileus so they are trying to correct that problem, he said once her intestines start to move again she should be ok IF that is the only problem but she has to stay so they can keep her on IV fluids, ultrasound showed liver and kidneys are good and no abdominal fluid in her stomach and the fluid in her uterus is at a normal amount for having whelped puppies, please keep praying she'll bounce back soon, we also need to find out what cause it to happen, could have been the fever or God only knows what else

They have now started her also on Lutalyse as the new blood workup they did on her showed her white cell count now high and the ultrasound ruled out a uterine tear and her discharge has not turned a bit pussy. Oh dear God what else can this poor baby go through :{

Once they get the Ileus resolved she will start to turn around. It's better than a Volvulus(a twist) so something to be thankful for, just need to get her system moving again.
Sounds like they are covering all the bases. Hope she gets better soon.

Sending prayers for your girl.

Long time breeder
They have now started her also on Lutalyse as the new blood workup they did on her showed her white cell count now high and the ultrasound ruled out a uterine tear and her discharge has not turned a bit pussy. Oh dear God what else can this poor baby go through :{
How is she doing? I've been in your shoes (no puss, straight, heavy, frank blood but she was headed in that direction) and Zazou did a complete turn around on low dose Lutalyse. I know we were lucky but without it, I could have lost her completely even if they did surgery (a spay.) I was willing to do anything to save her life.

We have to be our animal's advocates same as for human family, they sure can't do it themselves without the ability to speak. :(

Sending best thoughts for her to get better quickly!

Long time breeder
There is a veterinary forum that Dr. Hutch had put his Lutalyse formula on under a year prior, the vet that I finally used mentioned. He followed it like a hawk and also tried to reach Hutch.

Any idea where this forum is so I can ask my vet if he will look there? This girl took a turn for the worst and ended up back in the hospital yesterday and they finally did blood work which is showing lots of things going on, white cell count is normal, however she is anemic (pac cell count at 27 which 39 is normal), she's janice so her liver enzymes are bad (forgot what the numbers are)she's developed mastitis one one of her inverted teats, they put her on a secondary antibiotic and as of this morning has her temp down to 102 and she is still on IV's, not interested in eating but if you ask me it's because she's not home with her babies which she adores, they don't know if it's looking like her liver is failing and that is causing the problems or if the infection is causing the liver to look that way, he said they are scratching their heads over this one cause while some things should be off they aren't and other things are off so they don't know what is causing all this. The one and only board certified radiologist is scheduled to do a ultrasound on her tomorrow as that is the soonest they could get him in :{, they are trying to keep her stable for now and I guess we just have to wait and see what that ultrasound shows cause they said that will eliminate a lot of the possiblities and may give them the answer they need. Meanwhile I am taking care of her babies till she can come home be it spayed or not I just want her well, please pray for her

Sorry, I've been absent on this thread. I had two very ill family members. One had knee replacement surgery, the other was in ICU as of today.

It is for vets only, I am sure it is well hidden and you need to show credentials to get on it. I have no idea how a non vet would find it or get on it.

YOUR vet, like my FIFTH vet I used should be on it and know these things. I ran into 20 non knowing vets via phone who didn't too, four other local vets I brought Zazou to and got no place fast but an empty checking account. I found a gift in this one vet and will use him for anything mildly problematic for all of my dogs no matter how long the ride is. At least I used him after three breeders told me about him even at an 80 mile each way distance 4 rides back and forth daily for the Lutalyse injections for 6 days. As she's snoring away right now in the master bedroom, she was well worth the back and forth rides to get her better. Again, we were very lucky to find this vet who knew more than any idiot vet in my disgustingly pricey area. Yes, I am still angry at the lack of even decent care given where I live and what they charge for doing nothing.

I hope the Lutalyse helps your girl. Sending best thoughts!

Quote:

Sorry, I've been absent on this thread. I had two very ill family members. One had knee replacement surgery, the other was in ICU as of today.

It is for vets only, I am sure it is well hidden and you need to show credentials to get on it. I have no idea how a non vet would find it or get on it.

YOUR vet, like my FIFTH vet I used should be on it and know these things. I ran into 20 non knowing vets via phone who didn't too, four other local vets I brought Zazou to and got no place fast but an empty checking account. I found a gift in this one vet and will use him for anything mildly problematic for all of my dogs no matter how long the ride is. At least I used him after three breeders told me about him even at an 80 mile each way distance 4 rides back and forth daily for the Lutalyse injections for 6 days. As she's snoring away right now in the master bedroom, she was well worth the back and forth rides to get her better. Again, we were very lucky to find this vet who knew more than any idiot vet in my disgustingly pricey area. Yes, I am still angry at the lack of even decent care given where I live and what they charge for doing nothing.

I hope the Lutalyse helps your girl. Sending best thoughts! [/quote]

She is finally back home, sadly,in her case it did not help (well maybe it did to tell us he had to go in for exploratory surgery in which he said if her uterus was in good shape he would close her back up as that was his goal cause he himself is a breeder)She was passing some very nasty discharge with the shots and chunks of her uterus and not getting better, he ended up spaying her to save her life as if we didn't do something her uterus could have turned necrotic and we ran the risk of losing her which I was not willing to take a chance with that, she is more than a brood bitch to me, she's my baby first and foremost, he made the right call.

I am so sorry to hear of the health problems of your family, prayers go out to them for a total recovery

Dear Long Time Breeder,

I'm so sorry the spay was the only resort but you and the vet made the right call to save her life. I was willing to go that route if the Lutalyse didn't help Zazou and the vet told me that was a possibility. I had moved fast with the right vet, call #21 in 36 hours and in the car five minutes later with a hemorrhaging bitch.

As my ob/gyn of 33 years always said, "An empty uterus does not bleed" when referring to me while having issues years back. Same for dogs.

It stinks but you have your girl alive and hopefully getting healthier each day. Vets need to become more learned about Lutalyse and use it immediately in situations such as both of us had.

I don't plan on breeding Zazou again after three litters but I wanted her to be able to be shown legally with AKC and not have to wait until age 7 to do so as a "senior." I still told him do what ever he felt needed to be done to save her life. I trusted him implicitly.

I am working on how to get ALL local vets learned on Lutalyse and how to use it properly and immediately to avoid the situations we experienced. One tiny piece of left over placenta can cause these problems. Lutalyse helps the uterus push that out the bad, being in the prostaglandin family, quickly if caught early. Too bad some vets don't continue their educations as they practice or they would know to use it and what it is.

I hope and send good thoughts and prayers for your girl to heal well. I'm so sorry you and her went through all of this but I do understand.

Thank you for your kind words at a tough time here. My family member is out of ICU as of yesterday thankfully, still hospitalized and slated to be discharged this coming week. My husband is slowly healing from his knee replacement, walking without a walker or cane now. Thank you for your kind words during a very difficult time in your life.

Best wishes to you and your girl for best of health from here on in. We both learned a lot at the expense of our girls, all we can do now is pass on the information to others.

Best regards,

Michelle/Oy Vey
wwww.fardalelabradors.com/zazou.htm
fardalelabradors@gmail.com

I put an extra w in wwww.fardalelabradors.com/zazou.htm Ooopsy.

Oy Vey - Michelle
Dear Long Time Breeder,

I'm so sorry the spay was the only resort but you and the vet made the right call to save her life. I was willing to go that route if the Lutalyse didn't help Zazou and the vet told me that was a possibility. I had moved fast with the right vet, call #21 in 36 hours and in the car five minutes later with a hemorrhaging bitch.

As my ob/gyn of 33 years always said, "An empty uterus does not bleed" when referring to me while having issues years back. Same for dogs.

It stinks but you have your girl alive and hopefully getting healthier each day. Vets need to become more learned about Lutalyse and use it immediately in situations such as both of us had.

I don't plan on breeding Zazou again after three litters but I wanted her to be able to be shown legally with AKC and not have to wait until age 7 to do so as a "senior." I still told him do what ever he felt needed to be done to save her life. I trusted him implicitly.

I am working on how to get ALL local vets learned on Lutalyse and how to use it properly and immediately to avoid the situations we experienced. One tiny piece of left over placenta can cause these problems. Lutalyse helps the uterus push that out the bad, being in the prostaglandin family, quickly if caught early. Too bad some vets don't continue their educations as they practice or they would know to use it and what it is.

I hope and send good thoughts and prayers for your girl to heal well. I'm so sorry you and her went through all of this but I do understand.

Thank you for your kind words at a tough time here. My family member is out of ICU as of yesterday thankfully, still hospitalized and slated to be discharged this coming week. My husband is slowly healing from his knee replacement, walking without a walker or cane now. Thank you for your kind words during a very difficult time in your life.

Best wishes to you and your girl for best of health from here on in. We both learned a lot at the expense of our girls, all we can do now is pass on the information to others.

Best regards,

Michelle/Oy Vey
wwww.fardalelabradors.com/zazou.htm
fardalelabradors@gmail.com

Glad to hear your family is on the way to recovery, always so hard to have human members sick or in fear of losing them, I was very fortunate that my vet specializes in reproduction so he knew about the lutalye but what prevented him from being able to use it immediately was we had to wait till the radiologist was able to get there to do the ultrasound to make sure she didn't have a tear in her uterus, she is on the road to recovery now, mastitis is improving also but she can't nurse her babies because of it, he didnt' want her producing milk so it will resolve and she's been to hell and back so not taking a chance on her going backward at this point, I do let her lick them and she wants them however we need to wait a few more days for her to totally dry up , Thank YOU for your kindness