Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another problem, any suggestions

My girl that had the pups and ended up in the hospital with a uterine infection also have her first two teats that are inverted, one is now congested according to the vet but I was wondering if there was anyway to get them right side out? Tried to do it manually and no luck they are in there good :{

Re: Another problem, any suggestions

Is there milk in the two inverted teats? I would think that milk coming in would pull the teats down by themselves. If no milk and still inverted, I would try to keep them clean and dry to avoid possible infection.

Long time breeder
My girl that had the pups and ended up in the hospital with a uterine infection also have her first two teats that are inverted, one is now congested according to the vet but I was wondering if there was anyway to get them right side out? Tried to do it manually and no luck they are in there good :{

Years ago, I had a girl with one inverted teat. It was a middle teat. She developed mastitis in this one teat with 2 of her 3 litters. Interestingly, this girl also developed breast cancer in this particular teat quite rapidly. We did surgery to remove this teat plus 2 more surrounding it. She healed wonderfully, but we did end up losing her about 6 weeks later as the cancer had spread elsewhere in her body (she was barely 9yrs of age when the cancer was found). Not trying to scare you but share my experience with the inverted teat.

My girl had 6 normal teats and two inverted ones. They got slightly full with milk the first week or so but the pups ignored them, obviously, and the milk dried up in those two. No issues ever and she's 7 now and spayed.

Yes the teats had milk, one of them ended up with mastitis the hole where that one was inverted was so small no chance of it coming out with milk production