Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Improve the Breed ?

Always get a big hoot when I go to breeders web sites and see the Improve the Breed as part of the reason for breeding.

What needs improving. Labs are the best dog ever in the Pure bred class. . What does that statement mean ... Improve the breed ?

What are you trying to improve... are not you actually trying to improve your dogs in your control (your line). Not the breed?

Why not say I am trying to breed my stock to what the standard calls for. Or are you actually saying the breed has many flaws that you want to breed out.

How does one improve the Labrador Retriever.. It is impossible when he is the best dog ever... just saying.

Re: Improve the Breed ?

I try to "improve". My bitches have not been perfect. They've been nice, passed clearances, shown well, but mom produces marginal coats, rounder eyes, lots of lip. I breed to the standard, but I am also breeding to improve what I've got. I'm not willy nilly putting 2 dogs together, come what may...it's carefully planned out to produce a better puppy than either parent.

Re: Improve the Breed ?

You preserve the breed but improve your own stock. minimize faults and failings, and breed to the standard.