Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bites-keeping others from the litter

Have a puppy with an overbite. Would you consider keeping other puppies with correct bites from this litter, or let them all go to pet homes?

Re: Bites-keeping others from the litter

Sure, I'd keep something.

Of course. It's just one puppy. Know plenty of breeders who have gorgeous dogs whose littermate(s) had bad bites.

This Bites
Have a puppy with an overbite. Would you consider keeping other puppies with correct bites from this litter, or let them all go to pet homes?

I myself see no reason why you shouldn't keep another pup from the litter, we ae dealing with multiple beings created and sometimes things don't form right on one, this is something no one has any control over except God and he has his reasons for how things turn out, good or bad

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

Think about the other problems our breed has. From poor front construction to TVD, etc. I am not sure an overbite would bother me too much if those other more significant things were good.

I am not minimizing bad bites and missing teeth etc. I could be more concerned with underbites than overbites for example.

This Bites

perspective
Think about the other problems our breed has. From poor front construction to TVD, etc. I am not sure an overbite would bother me too much if those other more significant things were good.

I am not minimizing bad bites and missing teeth etc. I could be more concerned with underbites than overbites for example.

This Bites

Yes I would and have not very long ago.

I had a litter with 3 of 10 slight overbites with no surgery necessary. I chose my best keeper of the 4 girls who didn't have puppy overbites. No boys had a puppy overbite.

Since when don't bitch owners know how to ask the stud dog owner if their boy has produced it before especially if your girl or lines hasn't? Is it better to speak behind the stud dog owners backs? No way & it takes 2 to tangle with teeth. Maybe not with all problems but I do believe teeth can take both with certain pedigrees.

Sometimes the 2 don't click in 1 area such as baby teeth. I would rather it were a puppy overbite that might get better then TVD, ED, epilepsy, EIC or CHD which can be sometimes be prevented by enough generations of proper clearances, like radiographs and echo dopplers or reading pedigrees going far back enough.